Sue Higgins and her husband, state Rep. Gregg Hough, who live on the second floor, were not home at the time.
LACONIA — The elderly woman who died in Wednesday's fire in a Highland Street duplex has been identified by a family member.
Sue Higgins said the victim was her mother, Virginia Higgins. The elder Higgins lived in the first floor apartment at 169-171 Highland St. She was 89 years old and blind, her daughter said.
The first firefighters to arrive on the scene found Mrs. Higgins in the living room in the front of the house, Fire Chief Kirk Beattie said. She was unconscious and not breathing. Firefighters/EMTs immediately performed CPR in an effort to resuscitate her. She was immediately rushed to Lakes Region General Hospital about three blocks away where she was pronounced dead a short time later.
Read the Paper at Home!
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Question of the Week
- Laconia pair indicted for possessing bomb that exploded
- Florida deputy named next chief of police in Tilton
- Remains found in Sandwich Notch belonged to Ossipee man
- Jeffrey Roy, 28
- Man indicted for alleged drug sales on Jewett Street
- Lakeport Opera House ending 60 year intermission
- Bar Salida added to Weirs mix
- Two charged with major fentanyl sales in Tilton, North Conway
- Blake Lively's father Ernie has passed away
- Kristen Dilger, 52