PLYMOUTH — Firefighters ordered the evacuation of an apartment building at 135 Main St. early Thursday morning after a tenant called to say that a carbon monoxide detector had activated.

Plymouth Fire-Rescue responded to the call just before 3:30 a.m. and the on-duty crew found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the common hallways and the apartment in question, according to Fire Chief Tom Morrison.

Due to the size of the building, Plymouth ordered the evacuation and called in additional personnel and an engine company from the Campton-Thornton Fire Department.

They found the source of the problem to be a kitchen appliance in the restaurant on the first floor of the building which had been left on.

Crews remained on the scene for about an hour and a half to ventilate the building.

One occupant was evaluated for nausea but declined an offer of transportation to the hospital.

“If the carbon monoxide detectors had not been in place, the outcome would have been much worse,” said Morrison. “Plymouth Fire-Rescue cannot stress enough the importance of working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.”

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.