Former New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has accused CBS News of using “deceptive” tactics in an infamous interview he gave on CBS News Sunday Morning last year.

Appearing on the latest episode of the Hang Out with Sean Hannity podcast, Belichick said he “couldn’t believe” the way he was treated by CBS and claimed that the network has refused to provide him with a transcript of the interview despite his requests.

After Hannity said he was “stunned” by the interview and suggested the multi-time Super Bowl-winning coach should sue CBS, Belichick responded, per the Daily Mail, “You know, as we’ve seen recently, there have been more editing problems, and they go back over a couple of years—multiple examples of editing and interview process and all that.”

He continued, “You know, I thought that the interview I had with them was done very deceptively. I’ve asked for the transcript from them and they won’t give it to me. They’ve done that with others. I’m not really sure what that policy is.”

The interview aired last April when Belichick sat down with Tony Dokoupil for an edition of CBS News Sunday Morning. During the one-on-one chat, Dokoupil asked the then-73-year-old coach about his relationship with then-24-year-old girlfriend, Jordon Hudson.

Bill Belichick and Jordon Hudson

Bill Belichick and Jordon Hudson attend the Kentucky Derby; Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images for Churchill Downs

Hudson, who was watching the interview off-camera, interrupted the question, saying, “We’re not talking about this.” Dokoupil also noted that Hudson “was a constant presence during our interview.”

At the time, viewers, including Piers Morgan, described the interview as “utterly excruciating,” while sports writer Jemele Hill wrote, “A 24 year old seems to have more influence over Bill Belichick than Tom Brady. Cold game.”

Speaking to Hannity, Belichick said, “I’m kind of confused about some of the things that they [CBS] say they are, but I don’t really see them living up to the trust that they talk about.”

Two days after the interview aired, Belichick, who serves as coach of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tar Heels, emailed Beth Keith, a senior associate vice chancellor in UNC’s Office of University Communication, to clarify the nature of his relationship with Hudson.

“Jordon and I have both a personal [and] professional relationship,” he wrote. “This is not a secret. Jordon assists me with my personal media, which is why I asked UNC to forward media requests (e.g. CBS’ 60 Minutes) to her. Jordon has zero involvement in the UNC football program, beyond the degree that my personal media intersects with it.”

He added that Hudson accompanied him to the CBS interview because his Simon & Schuster publicist wasn’t available. Belichick claimed that after about 35 minutes, the questions shifted away from his book, The Art of Winning, and moved to topics “outlined as off-limits.”

Belichick also claimed Hudson asked to sit “off-camera,” but CBS “secretly had a camera focused” on her throughout the interview.

In a statement at the time, CBS News said that Belichick had agreed to a wide-ranging interview. “There were no preconditions or limitations to this conversation,” the statement read. “This was confirmed repeatedly with his publisher before the interview took place and after it was completed.”

More Headlines:

Originally published on tvinsider.com, part of the BLOX Digital Content Exchange.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.