The Lakes Region is known for its abundance of four-season communities with multiple choices for almost every imaginable budget. Governor’s Island on Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford is certainly one that stands out. Over the years, the island has transitioned into one of the finest waterfront communities on Winnipesaukee which will continue to evolve for future generations to enjoy.
Governor’s Island includes 504 acres and is approximately 1.8 miles long and .7 miles wide. The island was originally owned by Governor Wentworth through a land grant in 1772; however, all his lands and estates were confiscated during the revolution and Samual Gilman was elected to divide the land. In 1780 Governor’s Island was purchased and later sold to a US Senator who also became Governor of NH. He then sold the property to a man from Alton, NH for $1200.00 and was again sold to Eleazer Davis, whose son, Nathaniel Davis built the bridge and established a farming co-op. In 1883 it was leased to Stilson Hutchins (The founder of The Washington Post) for $1,000.00/year for 99-years. He is credited for the road along the shoreline and throughout the island. During 1885 he started construction on a Granite mansion, which unfortunately caught fire 50 years later and his attempt at the development failed. After World War II, construction started to increase and more homes starting rising along the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee.