GILFORD — The Gilford Selectboard was ahead of the curve in 2020, in voting to support a transition of the Winnipesaukee River Basin Program from a state-run to regional authority. The board unanimously voted, on Aug. 12, to reaffirm that vote, after transition efforts have been revived.
Town Administrator Scott Dunn said in September 2020, the selectboard voted to support a transition in ownership of the WRBP from the state Department of Environmental Services to a regional authority, operated by the 10 member communities.
The initiative failed in 2020, as it was opposed by NH DES staff, and the transition plan was not unanimous among members.
“Since then, that has changed,” Dunn said at the meeting. “It appears now where DES is very much in favor of getting rid of it, and turning it over to a regional authority. And the two towns who previously opposed also seem to be on board.”
Dunn said the effort is led by Special Projects Director Wes Anderson in Laconia, the city's representative on the WRBP advisory board.
“He has asked for each town to state its position in regard to this transition, so I am asking the board to affirm its previous vote in support of this,” Dunn said.
Dunn said the transition will likely be a multi-year effort, and it is his understanding this would start in the fall, with the development of a legislative service request. He suggests once a bill number is provided, new Town Administrator Kris Kelley should send a letter to legislators asking them to support the bill.
The WRBP serves the towns of Belmont, Center Harbor, Gilford, Meredith, Moultonborough, Northfield, Sanbornton and Tilton, and the cities of Laconia and Franklin. In July, Gov. Kelly Ayotte signed SB 592 into law, which created a commission to study transition of ownership to an “alternative authority.”
Anderson recently spoke with the Meredith Selectboard, explaining the effort began in 2018, but there was pushback from NH DES staff, and not enough of the support needed to make a transition. Over the last year, NH DES staff had issues managing the program, and Anderson said it resulted in $1 million in “wasteful spending.”
Anderson told the Meredith Selectboard he anticipates a study commission to be formed within the next month, and work must finish by the end of October, in order to provide it to the Legislature by Nov. 1.
Recently, other Lakes Region communities involved in the WRBP have voiced their support of the transition, including Belmont and Meredith.
“It’s going to be several years before it happens, but I think it has taken on a new life, and it’s going in a good direction for the rate payers who utilize the Winnipesaukee River Basin Project assets,” Dunn said.
Vice Chair Gus Benavides made a motion to affirm the Sept. 23, 2020, vote in support of a transition, and it was unanimously approved.


(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.