BELMONT — Firefighters were able to contain a kitchen fire to one apartment of a six-unit block at Village Apt. Road Building 6 Saturday at 12:27 p.m. However, the resident of the apartment is temporarily without a home.

Fire Chief Dave Parenti said the fire, which started in the first-floor kitchen stove, was accidental. He said the resident had been cooking a veal rib roast in the oven when he got a telephone call and had to leave the apartment for a while.

While he remembered to shut off all the top burners, he forgot to turn off the oven. Parenti said the heat from the oven gradually overheated some cooking that was on the stove and it ignited.

Parenti said someone noticed the smoke coming from the apartment and notified the building manager who called 9-1-1.

He said firefighters called for a first alarm when the lieutenant in charge saw heavy smoke as he was responding to fire.

Parenti said responders made a quick and aggressive interior attack into the kitchen and were able to contain the fire fairly quickly. He said the rest of the apartment suffered smoke damage and is not inhabitable.

"Fortunately the sheet rock did its job, and the fire didn't spread to the other apartments," he said.

Parenti said the apartment was equipped with smoke alarms which were working. However, the complex was built before the requirements to connect smoke alarms in all of the apartments.

The Red Cross is assisting the victim and his son. Parenti said the other residents of the building were ultimately able to return to their residences.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.