Online Banking Security
By Joanne Pearce
Senior Vice President / Risk Management Officer,
Meredith Village Savings Bank
At Meredith Village Savings Bank, we take your personal financial information and security seriously and have implemented vigorous internal security measures to protect your personal and account information while banking at our branches, over the phone and via the web. With keystroke loggers, virus attacks and phishing scams becoming increasingly prevalent, your vigilance and cooperation is also imperative in ensuring a secure online and mobile banking environment.
No matter where you bank, there are a number of things that you can do that will help to protect your information and identity when you are online:
1. Before you enter any personal or financial information on a website, always make sure the computer or mobile access device you are using is equipped with a reputable anti-virus program and firewall that updates routinely.
2. Ensure that you have installed the latest security updates for your operating system and any applications that you use.
3. Keep your web browser updated with the latest security settings and patches.
4. When accessing your accounts using online or mobile banking, we also recommend the following:
• Select a unique, strong password that does not include personal information, such as your name; date of birth, family member's names, etc. for your security.
• Remember to never share your log in credentials with anyone and to only use the ID assigned to you. Do not store this information on or near your computer or mobile access device.
• Do not set your internet browser to remember your passwords or automatically log you in to your online or mobile Banking.
• Only use online or mobile Banking from trusted and secure networks.
• Log out and close the browser completely when you have completed your session.
• Do not open unsolicited or unexpected e-mails and e-mail attachments or install software from unknown sources.
• Make sure your financial and personal information has been properly cleared from your computer or mobile access device before disposing of it.
• If you use SMS (Text Message) banking, remember messages are stored to your phone. Erase these messages periodically.
• If your computer or mobile access device is lost or stolen or if you believe your log in credentials have been compromised, please contact your bank as soon as possible for assistance with protecting your accounts.
• Backup important files to a removable storage device and store it in a safe place.
• Technology changes rapidly, so you'll want to stay aware of the latest threats, especially those affecting the local area. Visit the MVSB Facebook page where we regularly post articles to assist our community members in keeping up to date.
For assistance developing an information security plan for your business including a recommended annual risk assessment and review of security controls, please visit:
www.ftc.gov/infosecurity or www.bbb.org/data-security
To learn more about Meredith Village Savings Bank's measures to protect your personal information, contact us in person at any branch, by telephone at (800)922-6872 or visit our website at mvsb.com/online-banking/security.
Meredith Village Savings Bank is a Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender.
- Category: Business
- Hits: 2230