To The Daily Sun,
My wife recently asked me why I write letters to the editor. With some soul searching, I realize it comes down to trust. To me, trust is the single most important quality in a marriage, friendship and society as a whole. For the most part I have lost it in the media and the Democratic leadership in Congress. My recent flurry of letters on the tax cuts and jobs act (TCJA) was my breaking point on how the Democrats and the left-leaning media can fabricate a lie by omitting key parts of the bill to make it “appear” the rich are the major beneficiaries of the tax cuts. I will say right now that I will change my stance and apologize in this newspaper if that claim can be proven with actual facts and not just rhetoric.
The claims by Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer that the TCJA will benefit the rich and hurt the middle-class rings of the same false narrative that Obamacare would save the average family $2,500 in health insurance cost each year. Here is a link with then president Obama making that statement over a dozen times in speeches. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o65vMUk5so). Now contrast that with this link from CNN reporting on a video of Johnathan Gruber, one of the key architects of Obamacare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6wljfbRaDM) where he says ,“A law that said healthy people pay in and sick people get money would not have passed. Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever but basically that was really critical for this thing (Obamacare) to pass.”
In my opinion the $2,500 savings lie was the tipping point for why Donald Trump was elected president last year. People like Gene Ronikier, who’s letter was in The Laconia Daily Sun on Nov 11 detailed how his health care costs doubled and his deductible increased to $6,350. He is not alone, I know several others with similar stories. Keep in mind that only a small portion of the American public actually sign up for Obamacare. To be specific the latest number is 12.2 million this year which is less than 4 percent of the U.S. population. Many, like myself work for a large company and my health care costs have gone up over 50 percent since the enactment of Obamacare and my deductible has increased from $500/family to $1,500/individual. I wrote a letter to the editor on Aug. 8 titled “GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED HEALTH CARE IS EXPENSIVE & WE’RE GOING TO PAY,” if you want more info. I do want to put a price tag on it because it does make up a significant portion of what we all pay in taxes. I have spent hours searching the Obamacare Facts and Health and Human Services (HHS) websites and finding any dollar amounts is next to impossible. The best article I could find on the costs is this article from Forbes. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2016/09/18/obamacare-medicaid-expansion-a-lot-of-spending-of-little-value/#519289577a32), which is supported by this article by Investor’s Business Daily (https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/states-discover-the-high-cost-of-obamacares-free-medicaid-expansion/). As a final check I went to the Congressional Budget Office historical records (https://www.cbo.gov/about/products/budget-economic-data), which shows that the federal government Medicaid cost increased from $265.4B in 2013 to $368.3B in 2016 for a total increase of $102.9B or 39 percent in just three years.
I’m not going to debate if Obamacare is worth the costs because that is a personal opinion. I do want to close with my observation though. The Democrats defend to the death the premise that the government is responsible for giving every unemployed citizen (and non-citizen) a handout where as the Republicans are pushing to giving every citizen a hand up. In my opinion the single biggest issue is that the 63 percent of the U.S. population that is working is supporting the 37 percent that is not. It is unsustainable! The TCJA cut taxes gave businesses a break so they can hire more employees. I pointed out in my previous letter, “I’M FOR INCREASING OUR COUNTRY'S WORK FORCE PARTICIPATION RATE,” that the last time the government balanced the budget was 1999, when 70 percent of the population was supporting the other 30 percent. If we got back to that point, both parties would win.