Kids get day off after small Sandwich School fire

SANDWICH — Sandwich Central School was evacuated and pupils dismissed early on Friday morning when an electrical fire that broke out in the art room filled the building with smoke.

Fire Chief Louis Brunelle said that the class was firing ceramics in the kiln when the plug melted and the outlet caught fire. The principal, John Hansen, doused the flames with a fire extinguisher and the fire did not reach beyond the outlet. However, the chief said that smoke spread throughout much of the building and the chemical residue from the fire extinguisher was strewn in the hallways.

Brunelle said that pupils walked across Quimby Field to the Wentworth Library and dismissed for the day. The school building was opened to adults between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to collect pupils' belongings and the school will resume normal operations on Tuesday, January 20.