Fire in Church Landing mechanical room knocked down quickly

  • Published in Local News

By ROGER AMSDEN, LACONIA DAILY SUN

MEREDITH — An employee had mostly knocked down a fire yesterday that started in a mechanical room used to store housekeeping supplies on the fourth floor of Church Landing before firefighters arrived at the scene.

Meredith Fire Chief Ken Jones said that the 10:21 a.m. fire was rapidly extinguished once firefighters arrived at the scene, but produced a large amount of smoke which crews vented out of the building, located almost directly across the highway from the fire department.

He said one housekeeping employee of Church Landing suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken by ambulance to Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia.

Cause of the fire appeared to have been an extension cord according to Jones, who said that the fire caused about $5,000 in damage.

12 06 Church Landing fire

A fire, which started in a mechanical room where housekeeping supplies were stored at Church Landing in Meredith, caused about $5,000 in damage yesterday. (Roger Amsden/Laconia Daily Sun)