Gilford mobile home destroyed in fire

04-04 Gilford mobile home fire

A fire that broke out shortly before 6 p.m. Sunday destroyed a mobile home at 9 Sargent Place, Lot 52.  Firefighters from Alton, Belmont, Gilford, Franklin and Laconia responded to Lake Breeze Mobile Home Park to help quell the fire that ruined the two-bedroom trailer. The mobile home is owned by Vaughn Monroe. A resident of the park for the past 11 years, Monroe said he was grateful to be alive and that no one was hurt. (Bea Lewis/for The Laconia Daily Sun)

 

By BEA LEWIS, for The LACONIA DAILY SUN

GILFORD — The owner of mobile home destroyed by fire on Sunday told officials he had a slow cooker plugged in on his stove top and fears he could have accidentally turned on the burner beneath it.

Vaughn Monroe estimated he been outside talking with the manager at Lake Breeze Trailer Park for three minutes, when his friend commented that there was a lot of smoke coming from the top of the hill. Monroe said in the less than a minute it took him to make it the estimated 300 feet back to his trailer, flames were shooting out of the kitchen window.

Neighbors had already called 911 at about 6 p.m., and while the fire department was en route, Monroe said, he looked on in disbelief and was prepared to keep civilians away.

"I think I'm probably in shock," Monroe said, while expressing gratitude that no one was hurt, including his dog Reba, a shelter rescue.

Gilford firefighters dug through the wreckage to locate Monroe's heavily charred desk and carried it outside. He hoped among the blackened documents inside were his insurance paperwork.

Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Currier said the fire definitely originated in the kitchen of the trailer that he estimated to be about 16 feet wide and 30 feet long, and that it appears to be accidental.

Monroe said a fellow park resident had offered him a place to stay until he can make other arrangements.

Chief Carrier said the first crews on the scene reported heavy fire from the kitchen and an attached enclosed porch. Able to connect to a hydrant just inside the park entrance, crews quickly knocked down the fire but not before it had consumed much of the kitchen closest to the road. The property is located at 9 Sargent Place, Lot #52.

"I'm happy I got out, the dog got out and no one was hurt. Everything else can be replaced," Monroe said, praising firefighters for their quick response.