To The Daily Sun,
Belmont has received all but $3,000. of the challenge grant of $15,000 awarded in 2014, and matched by the Heritage Fund. The LCHIP/Land and Community Heritage Investment Program support was critical to project completion — a second phase replacing the cedar shingled roof, and extensive painting preparation including lead paint removal and reapplying original colors.
The Heritage Commission remains grateful for LCHIP assistance, and other contributions during five years of fundraising. The Bank of New Hampshire, John M. Sargent Fund and Town of Belmont were major donors, along with local businesses, and significant gifts of technical expertise from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Architects Magnus McLetchie and Paul Mirski, architectural historians James Garvin, Elizabeth Durfee Hengen and David Ruell, and the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance, among others.
Media, including The Laconia Daily Sun, has been generous with coverage of the 1908 community landmark, from its centennial celebration launching the effort, to 2012 relocation by the town, and a final move in September 2013, allowing stabilization, rehabilitation and restoration.
We thank Sun staff and all involved over the years, including the restoration team of Arnold "JR" Graton, John Thompson and crew of JLT Painting, Building Conservation Associates, and Michael Marsh of Norm Marsh Electric.
Belmont Heritage Commission
- Category: Letters
- Hits: 228