To The Daily Sun,
The Lakes Region has been invaded by aliens from another planet. They have mastered our language and have been able to change their appearance so they look just like ordinary U.S. citizens. I spotted some of them around town recently. I was able to get a glimpse of their aluminum covered antennae peeking out from the hair on their heads. When they turned toward sunlight I briefly saw the reflection of sun glinting off the antenna. Really!
During this long winter most people are wearing head covering when out and about, so these "visitors" have been able to keep their identity under wraps (pun intended) while out and about in our presence. It's truly amazing to me that they have been found and exposed. But, you are just not going to believe where else I was able to find them.
Let me take a moment to explain how I uncovered their presence among us. These alien visitors from another planet have mastered the English language enough to continuously write mind-numbing, misleading letters to The Daily Sun.
If these (alien) writers were truly residents of planet earth for the last few decades, we could be confident that they would have been keeping track of our politics, observe how it has evolved and sadly deteriorated under Republican control. This rapid deterioration has evolved mostly since Ronald Reagan was elected president.
It has been blatantly obvious how each and every GOP administration since Reagan has taken away, eroded, watered down or challenged our basic freedoms and opportunities. Here is a depressingly sad short list:
1. Subverting the constitutional right of every citizen to vote.
2. Fewer rights and protections in the workplace, beginning with, but not limited to, union busting.
3. A soaring national debt as a result of mismanaged unfunded wars and giveaway tax cuts to the rich.
4. The lack of equal pay for equal work for women.
5. Less ability of those of us in the middle and working classes to save money.
6. Lack of basic regulation(s) and the enabling of fraudulent mortgage lenders.
7. The inability to send our children on to a higher education as a result of runaway and ever increasing college tuition.
8. No appreciable increase in the hourly wage as workers lose ground.
9. The 1 percent of the "one percenters" becoming obscenely wealthy and then buying our political processes and our candidates.
11. The ever-increasing need for food pantries — which are increasingly running further and further behind the need.
12. Millions of American jobs shipped overseas by the same corporations who ship their profits to overseas bank accounts.
13. More widespread air and water pollution.
These are but a part of a very long list of what we as Americans have experienced and for which we can thank the Republican Party. The GOP/Tea Party continues to erode our freedoms, diminish our incomes, threaten to take away our health care and are taking away any hope of a better future.
Where do these aliens expose themselves almost every day? They are actually too easy to find. Just get your hands on a copy of The Laconia Daily Sun, turn to the letters to the editor and, lo and behold, there they are in plain sight (actually print) for all to see. These visitors from outer space, aka letter writers, Republican pod people, continually show us that they are out of touch and unfamiliar with reality. In order to mislead and subvert our politics they are more than willing to lie, make up their own "facts" from scratch, and create smoke screens.
If you are lucky enough to spot them in public, please give them the V sign (two fingers on each side) to show them that you mean them no harm. If you are able to get their attention let them know that E.T. phoned and has asked them to return home.