To the Daily Sun,
Does anyone really believe mail could not be delivered at the Glendale docks because of the recycling container placed outside the fenced-in garbage containers?
There were problems but mail delivery was not one of them.
1. One recycling container was not sufficient. Most of our garbage in 2015 is recyclable and if we are composting, little needs to go into the landfill (the ultimate destination for the contents of the three containers behind the fence.)
2. People did not follow directions and take recyclables out of bags in many cases and did not bother to break down cardboard boxes. Sometimes they left the bagged materials on the ground in spite of directions not to do that.
3. People put in materials not accepted by Gilford (examples I have seen have been pillows, blankets and wood).
4. I don't know how often the recycling container was picked up but it was almost always full and finding places to put a can or bottle took effort each time I took our materials.
5. Were the three garbage containers full three times a week? Did anyone check the docks in person to evaluate the operation as it existed?
As Welch Island property owners we pay significant taxes for few services, but enlightened garbage disposal would seem to be one to expect from Gilford administration in 2015.
Welch Island, Gilford
- Category: Letters
- Hits: 662