To The Daily Sun,
Although I stated some time ago that I would not entertain or reply to any of Mr. Earle's letters, his most recent one needs a serious fact check: "FBI estimates that half of all criminal gang members are illegals," submitted Monday, Sept. 7, to The Laconia Daily Sun.
After much in-depth searching I have found a few sites to counter Mr. Earle's erroneous assertions.
1. Migration Policy Institute (www.migrationpolicyinstitue.org) -"Migration Policy Source," September, 2015-Washington, DC
2. Cato Institute-"Immigration and Crime: What the Research Says", July 14, 2015
3. "The Changing Misrepresentation of Race & Crime on Network & Cable News"-Travis L. Dixon & Charlotte L. Williams. Article published online-December 13, 2014-Volume 65 Issue 1 pages 24-29. Published February, 2015
4. Rice University-Kinder Institute for Urban Research: Working Paper #2015-01-The "Southwestern Strategy: Immigration & Race in GOP Discourse" by Jessica Brown-University of Houston-January 2015
5. American Psychological Association-Citation: "The Land of the Free: Undocumented families in the juvenile justice system" by Cavanagh, Caitlin and Cauffman, Elizabeth. "Law and Human Behavior-Vol-32(2) April, 2015 pages 152-161 (this is a journal article from the American Psychological Association.
In addition it is worth noting the following quote from Mr. Earle which he excerpted from Snopes: "...FBI estimates half of all criminal gang members are illegals...." Snopes notes the following: "this statement references a Department of Justice study (not an FBI report), and that it describes only a single gang in Los Angeles County (the 18th Street Gang); the gang that likely has the highest membership rate of illegal aliens."
Here is the source with the correct information and quotes:
Testimony-April 13, 2005: "Immigration & Alien Gang Epidemic: Problems & Solutions" by Heather MacDonald, Senior Fellow, Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, before the House Judiciary, Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Claims.
It's important to note that the excerpt from her testimony is as follows: "In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide in the first half of 2004 (which totaled 1,200 to 1,500) targeted illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) were for illegal aliens." MacDonald further states: "No one knows for certain the percentage of illegal's in gangs, thanks in large part to sanctuary laws themselves."
When any particular statistic is printed one has the obligation to be sure that it is accurate, truthful, not fragmented or taken completely out of context.
- Category: Letters
- Hits: 305