To The Daily Sun,
On Monday, October 21, while I was away from home, I received a call on my cell phone from the Tilton-Northfield Fire Department, telling me that my fire alarms were going off and they needed me to come home and unlock my doors.
Today, I'm very thankful for two things. The first is that my fire alarms, it turns out, were triggered not by a fire but by a dead battery in one detector, which caused all of the rest of the hard-wired alarms to sound. The second thing I'm thankful for is that someone walking by my Elm Street home heard the alarms and cared enough to make the call to the fire department. There was no emergency in this case, but there could have been, and that phone call could have saved my home and the lives of my two dear pets.
To whoever called the fire department on Monday, thank you. It is nice to know there are people out there that will help a stranger. And, to everyone else, now is a great time to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors if you haven't in a while!