Letter Submission

To submit a letter to the editor, please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Letters must contain the author's name, hometown (state as well, if not in New Hampshire) and phone number, but the number will not be published. We do not run anonymous letters. Local issues get priority, as do local writers. We encourage writers to keep letters to no more than 400 words, but will accept longer letters to be run on a space-available basis. Editors reserve the right to edit letters for spelling, grammar, punctuation, excessive length and unsuitable content.


Obamacare isn't working as advertised & we don't want it

  • Published in Letters

To The Daily Sun,

This is in response to Jon Hoyt's letter in the August 27th Sun:

I have to agree with one statement you made in your letter, Jon, "...if (Obamacare) works as advertised then we, the American people, will win big time." The problem is it isn't working as advertised. It isn't even coming close. When a program like a takeover of one-sixth of the American economy, which is what Obamacare is, requires 10 years of tax revenues to fund six years of operations, then it's a loser right out of the starting gate. When a program that adds yet another layer of government bureaucracy on to an already bloated system, all it does is add cost, decreases efficiency, creates delay, and in the end, results in an artificial shortage of the very thing it was supposed to provide.

The disincentives built into Obamacare are staggering, both for businesses and individuals. The heavy costs to be shouldered by small businesses and the younger generations in order to fund Obamacare have been driving many to forgo participation. Businesses are being forced to dump employees onto the exchanges because they cannot possibly afford to pay the premiums required by Obamacare. Other businesses are not expanding because they don't want to go over the 49 employee limit that triggers their requirement to provide health insurance. Others are turning full-time jobs into part-time jobs in order to stay under that limit. Individuals who were promised that they could keep their doctors and their health plans are finding out they can't. The young are unwilling to pony up the exorbitant amounts of cash in order to pay for the health benefits of older Americans, and frankly I don't blame them. The unintended consequences of Obamacare are far reaching and will actually end up hurting everyone, including the people it was supposed to help.

When Max Baucus, one of the authors of the misnamed Affordable Care Act, calls Obamacare a "train wreck", it should give you and others pause to consider that maybe it isn't such a great idea after all and that it should be scrapped. It won't be delivering on the promises made by Obama, Pelosi, and Reid no matter how much anyone hopes and prays that it will. When a large majority of the American people don't want and don't like Obamacare (and they never have liked it), how can anyone possibly justify forcing it upon the American public?

To paraphrase a statement made about the Canadian health care system: "85 percent of the Canadian people like it. The other 15 percent are sick." Soon enough we'll be saying something similar about ObamaCare, though I expect the numbers will be different, with the former lower and the latter higher.
Dale Channing Eddy