LACONIA — Jury selection in the case of a former Meredith man who allegedly sold heroin to a Moultonborough man who died of an overdose is now scheduled for October.
Andrew Currier, 51, formerly of 100 Blueberry Hill Road is charged with two counts of selling heroin with death resulting to Jason Dostie on May 29, 2013. Each count represents a different explanation of the same crime.
Dostie died on May 29 in Meredith after allegedly taking the heroin. His body was found in his father's truck in Moultonborough but the subsequent police investigation determined he died while he was in Meredith.
The case was investigated by the Meredith Police. Currier was indicted by a Belknap County grand jury on October 3, 2013.
Jury selection was initially scheduled for May 29 but Currier's lawyer, Steve Mirkin, filed an assented-to motion to continue saying he had gotten nearly 1,000 pages of supplemental discovery that included a "forensic" file compiled by a lab in Pennsylvania.
Most of the file, wrote Mirkin, consists of charts, diagrams, and other scientific test data that must be examined by an expert witness.
In addition, three weeks before the proposed date of jury selection, the prosecution added Dr. Edward Barbieri of Willow Grove, Pennsylvania its witness list. Mirkin expects that once an expert for Currier has examined the new data, he will want to depose or interview Barbieri under oath.
In order to prove to charge of sales of heroin — death resulting, the state has to prove not only that Currier sold Dostie heroin but that the heroin Currier sold him was the heroin that killed him.
The difference in sentences between the proving one element (the sale) as opposed to proving both elements (sale and death resulting) is the difference between a sentence for a Class B felony and life in prison for Currier.
Mirkin said any lack of ability to prepare for a trial that could result in a life sentence would be prejudicial and he said he would need at least 60 days to review the new data.
Last Updated on Friday, 20 June 2014 12:53
GILFORD — For four years, Cider Bellies Doughnuts at Moulton Farm has been one of the worst-kept secrets in the Moultonborough, Meredith and Center Harbor. In fact, people come from miles around to get a warm Cider Bellie and a cup of coffee.
Yesterday, Jessica Stephens brought her secret recipe to Gilford with a brand new stand in the parking lot of Sawyer's Dairy Bar.
Open from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m., Thursday through Sunday, Stephens and Sawyer's owner Larry Litchfield both thinks Cider Bellies will be a welcome addition for early morning commuters and visitors to the area.
"Larry approached me last year while I was at Moulton Farm," said Stephens yesterday. "He told me he thought I had great potential at his location."
Stephens said she had been looking for a second location after training and manager and employees for her Moulton Farm stand but hadn't considered Gilford until she saw the spot.
"It's perfect," she said, noting that the traffic count is high and in the summer there are a number of local businesses, especially the boaters who will stop by for some Cider Bellies.
For those who want them to go, that's great. For those who want to stick around and enjoy a Cider Bellie and a cup of coffee, Litchfield has given her the use of all of his outside picnic tables and the inside of his restaurant for rainy days and bathroom facilities.
Stephens said that while Cider Bellies Doughnuts is a trademarked name, the recipe is not. "It's just a secret," she said.
Stephens said the recipe is all hers. "We pre-mix the dry ingredients and that's where the secret comes in," she said.
She said they always use the same cider which is pressed year-round in Maine. Stephens said very few of the New Hampshire orchards press year round and fresh cider is one of the tricks.
A native of upper-state New York, Stephens said she grew up eating cider donuts and when she married her husband and moved to the Lakes Region, she told him she wouldn't stay unless there were cider donuts.
Cider Bellies Doughnuts was born and has been growing in popularity and notoriety every since.
"The key," said one long time customer, "is getting them while they're warm."
Stephens agrees. She doesn't sell day-old doughnuts and the trailer Litchfield set up for her allows her to make them fresh for the five hours she is open.
Cider Bellies Doughnuts also has a thriving delivery business.
Mike Lancor is Stephens's father and her delivery driver. "I retired so I could work for my daughter," he said yesterday,
"She's had tremendous success at Moulton Farms and I think she's going to do fine here also," Lancor said.
He said they deliver on Thursdays to Gilford and Laconia, and on Fridays delivers can be made in Moultonborough, Center Harbor and Meredith.
For large takeout orders, Stephens and Lancor ask that people call ahead.
CAPTION: (CiderBelliesDoughnuts) Jessica Stephens and Mark Lancor on their first day at Cider Bellies Doughnuts newest location at Sawyer's Dairy Bar. Their food trailer is open Thursday through Sunday from 6 to 11 a.m. (Laconia Daily Sun photo/Gail Ober)
Last Updated on Friday, 20 June 2014 12:49
LACONIA — When the City Council meets on Monday to tackle the 2014-2015 municipal budget, reducing the total appropriation to trim the projected increase in the property tax rate by six cents while providing the Police Department with additional resources to address drug trafficking and abuse will apparently be high priorities.
In a memorandum sent to councilors this week City Manager Scott Myers outlined a number of adjustments to the original expenditures and revenues included in the budget he proposed in March, which taken together represent a net gain of $80,000. He recommended raising the projected revenues from motor vehicle registrations by $30,000, from $2,150,000 to $2,180,000, reducing the appropriation for the employer's share of health insurance premiums by $30,000 and eliminating a $20,000 appropriation for preparing the Master Plan to reflect receipt of a grant for the purpose.
Councilor Henry Lipman (Ward 3), who chairs the Finance Committee, said yesterday that he aims to reduce the projected 31 cent increase in the property tax rate to 25 cents by reducing expenditures by $100,000, with the cuts shared evenly between the city and the schools.
Earlier this week the Budget and Personnel Committee of the School Board resolved to urge the council against further reductions in the district's budget. The committee contends that it has already cut the school district's budget by $517,000 to comply with the limits of the tax cap while absorbing an increase of $1.2 million in obligatory and mandated costs beyond its control.
Councilor Brenda Baer (Ward 4) said that she would prefer to cut $100,000 from the school district budget, which she noted is set to rise from $34,967,696 this year to $36,293,552 next year. "I'm willing to compromise," she said, "but I think it's time for the schools to take more responsibility for controlling spending."
The council is also considering eliminating $25,000 for a study of the intersection of Court Street and Fair Street from the capital outlay budget and instead drawing the money from the Downtown Tax Increment Financing (TIF) fund, which would not affect either the amount to be raised by property taxes or the property tax rate. Baer suggests eliminating a $15,000 appropriation for the Winnipesaukee-Opechee-Winnisquam (WOW) Trail while Councilor Bob Hamel (Ward 5) proposed cutting some or all of the $39,500 appropriation for Lakes Region Public Access television.
Baer said that she favored eliminating the $32,000 appropriated to fund the salaries, benefits and related expenses of four firefighters for five weeks at the tail end of the coming fiscal year. The firefighters were hired with a Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant of $642,028 from the federal government, which expires in April 2015. Baer said that since there is no plan for funding the positions once the grant expires and the additional personnel have not led to a significant reduction in the cost of overtime, she believes the positions should be eliminated.
Myers noted that if the positions were eliminated, the budget could be reduced by $32,000, but cautioned the savings may prove illusory since with eight instead of nine firefighters on each shift for those five weeks overtime expenses could increase.
The $80,000 in adjustments to the budget and reductions of between $79,500 and $161,500 represent sufficient funds to reduce the property tax rate and address the growing drug problem.
In May, at the request of the council, Police Chief Chris Adams, presented a several options for pursuing a community based strategy to reduce the distribution and consumption of street drugs, particularly heroin. These included adding a full-time patrol officer and assigning an experienced officer to coordinate the resources in the city, which would cost $72,000, hiring a part-time officer or civilian employee to shepherd the recovery court and coordinate specific projects at a cost of $20,000 and increasing overtime to strengthen enforcement at $30,000.
Lipman said that he would prefer a comprehensive, collaborative approach, engaging law enforcement, social service agencies and community organizations, aimed at shrinking the demand for illicit drugs.
The council will consider these issues when it meets on Monday, June 23 beginning at 7 p.m.
Last Updated on Friday, 20 June 2014 12:34
BELMONT — ClearChoiceMD has filed an application with the town's Planning Department to open a urgent care facility in the Belknap Mall.
The independent health care provider proposes to employ two full-time practitioners and five support staff members. If the application for a site plan is approved, the new agency said it will use a state-of-the-art X-ray technology called Image Wisely/Image Gently that measures the dose according to patient size and age.
According to its application, ClearChoiceMD chose the Belknap Mall because of its location in a commercial corridor that provides a convenient location and abundant parking for area residents in need of urgent care.
ClearChoiceMD is a New Hampshire-based physician-owned and operated urgent car organization that was founded by Dr. Marcus Hampers who is on the clinical staff in the emergency department of the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.
The company hopes to open facilities in New Hampshire and Vermont. A ClearChoiceMD facility opened in Berlin last week and one is slated to open soon in St. Albans, Vt.
ClearChoiceMD President Michael Porembski said if they get approval at the July 28 Planning Board meeting, they hope to open in Belmont in late August or early September.
He said New Hampshire requires a license submission around 60 days before construction is complete but because it is defined as a physician's practice, the company is exempt from the requirements of a state-issued certificate of need.
Porembski said they typical patient walks in and out of a ClearChoiceMD facility for less than $200. He said the maximum cost to a self-paying customers is $250. He also said the agency accepts Medicaid and will be negotiate individual reimbursement rates for the various insurers within the state.
"We are open to everybody," he said.
When asked about people who come to the facility who need immediate emergency care, Porembski said it would be like any other doctor's office — an ambulance would be called.
"It happens all the time," he said. "A patient complains of indigestion but they are having a cardiac emergency. They go to the emergency room."
But, said Porembski, 90-percent of the people who arrive at a doctor's office drove themselves there and 90 percent of those people can drive themselves to the hospital should their needs be beyond those of ClearChoiceMD or any other non-hospital affiliated office.
The application said the according to studies, unnecessary ER visits waste $14 billion annually and delay critical care to those who need it. The company also said that a recent study in rural New York showed 44 percent of emergency room visits could have been handled in a physician's office and 70 percent of the emergency room visits from people with employee-sponsored health insurance were unnecessary.
He said the company has reached out to LRGHealthcare, operators of Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia, about some co-operation with electronic medical records and similar things but said the reception so far has been "lukewarm."
"We gave them some options but as of now they haven't chosen any of them," he said.
A LRGHealthcare spokeswoman said they were aware the application was forthcoming and would be preparing a statement.
LRGHealthcare currently operates a walk-in care clinic called Convenience Care at the Laconia hospital. The clinic is open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. every day.
Last Updated on Friday, 20 June 2014 12:26
- Need an alligator seat for that chopper?
- Rib Whisperer adds Lone Star personality to Motorcycle Week
- 3-time champ downs 2-pound burrito in 1:11 to win Motorcycle Week contest in downtown Laconia
- Bridgewater & Hebron school withdrawal study will dive into details of a breakup
- Household income in Laconia took spill from 2000-2011
- School Board asking City Council to back away from $50k budget cut