A+ A A-

Woman who offered alibi for alleged Opechee Park flasher now playing hard to get for both prosecution & defense

LACONIA — The registered sex offender who allegedly exposed himself on September 1, 2014 to some children at Opechee Park has filed a notice of alibi defense with the Belknap County Superior Court.

Daniel King, 52, who at the time was homeless but with a base in Concord, was charged with two counts of felony indecent exposure. He was arrested in Arkansas in December by U.S. Federal Marshals and extradited back to New Hampshire.

According to paperwork obtained from the court, shortly after his arrest, a woman contacted the Laconia Police and said she was with King all day on September 1, 2014 and they had ridden the Cog Railway at Mount Washington.

An officer from the LPD told the woman that he has video evidence showing that what she said was not true. The officer also told the woman that King was a sex offender who had been convicted of an offense against a 6-year-old.

The woman providing the alibi was then given an opportunity to come to the Police Department and make a statement but she declined and, police say, never provided any more information.

When she was contacted by an investigator working with the Public Defenders Office, she also declined to be interviewed.

King also argues that the video police have shows a man matching his general description but it is not of the quality that a positive identification can be made. His defense team also claims that four witnesses to the park incident were shown a photo lineup that included King and the four identified three different faces, including King, as the man in the park.

King is asking that the court order the woman who offered the alibi to be made available for a deposition.

"This way both sides will have an opportunity to question (name) under oath regarding where she was on September 1, 2014 and whether she was with Mr. King around 4:15 that afternoon," wrote his attorneys.

In addition, Concord Police Lt. Timothy O'Malley told The Daily Sun that his department would be moving forward with charges that he failed to register and change of address or check in with police as is part of his life-time sex offender registry orders.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2015 11:47

Hits: 704

Belmont man charged with intoxicated driving with 2 children in the car

BELMONT — Police arrested a local man after an officer on routine patrol found him and his two children in a disabled Jeep last at 10:11 p.m. on April 11.

Lt. Rich Mann said he spotted Daniel Carroll, 27, in his vehicle, which was at a precarious angle on the breakdown lane of Route 106 and initially stopped to ask him if everything was okay and did he need a tow truck.

When Mann turned around, he drove over some debris in the middle of driving lane and realized it was part of Carroll's fender liner and part of his missing front driver's side tire — both of which were black and invisible to a driver.

After removing the debris, Mann made contact with Carroll, asked if he needed him to call a tow truck and noticed there were two young children in the back seat.

He said Carroll showed signs of intoxication and the Jeep has significant front end damage, allegedly from striking something.

Mann said Carroll couldn't remember what he hit and police couldn't find anything in the immediate area that appeared damaged in a crash.

A second police officer administered field sobriety tests and when Carroll failed, he was arrested immediately.

During a custody search of Carroll's person, police found some narcotics for which Carroll couldn't produce a prescription.

The children were released to a family member and Carroll was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated, subsequent offense, two counts of child endangerment, and one count of possession of a controlled drug.

Police are still investigating to try and determine what Carroll hit and where he hit it and additional charges could be forthcoming.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2015 11:33

Hits: 605

Greenhouses saved from Beans & Greens field fire

GILFORD — A fire which scorched a field at Beans and Greens Farm late Thursday night was extinguished before it could cause major damage to four nearby greenhouses.
Deputy Fire Chef Brad Ober said that the fire, which was reported at 11:40 p.m. is believed to have been caused by a spark from a nearby outside boiler which is used to heat the greenhouses.
''There was minimal damage,'' said Ober, who said some of the clear plastic covering on the ends of the greenhouses was damaged in the fire, which burned about a half-acre of field.
The fire was brought under control at 12:10 a.m.

Workers at Bean and Greens Farm in Gilford check out fire damage at the farm's greenhouses on Friday. (Roger Amsden photo for the Laconia Daily Sun)

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2015 11:24

Hits: 525

Promoter has leased drive-in for series of Bike Week rock concerts

LACONIA — The Weirs Drive-In Theater will become a venue for live music and boxing matches during the the 92nd running of Motorcycle Week, the world's oldest motorcycle rally.

Vesslarglobal Partners, LLC of West Jeffereson, North Carolina has leased the property from its owner, Patricia Baldi, and this week has submitted a proposal to stage concerts on each of the last four days of the rally, along with a boxing exhibition on Friday.

A stage, 160 by 100 feet, will be erected in front of the main screen on the west (uphill) side of theater. The boxing ring, surrounded on four sides by seating, will be set up and broken down on Friday. Two bars, one 50 feet and another 20 feet, are planned for the site, which will also feature 10 beer "tubs" scattered throughout the venue.

Concerts are scheduled to begin at 5 p.m., with bands playing until midnight, except on the Thursday when the music will stop at 10:30 p.m. The line-up of bands has yet to be announced.

According the the permit application form filed with the city, concert attendance is projected to begin at 5,000 people on Wednesday, climb to 8,000 to 10,000 on Thursday, reach 15,000 to 20,000 on Friday and jump to 30,000 on Saturday, the last night of the rally.

Planning Director Shanna Saunders said that the proposal will be presented to the Motorcycle Technical Review Committee on Wednesday, May 6.

In the past, the Weirs Drive-In Theater has been a popular site for vendors and motorcycle parking, but their numbers have diminished in recent years as attendance at the rally has fallen.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2015 11:19

Hits: 832

The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette