LACONIA — Belknap County Administrator Debra Shackett told Belknap County Commissioners when they met last evening at the Belknap County Complex that the environment in which county workers are doing their jobs ''is highly stressful, each and every day. We're juggling to keep from overspending line items in every single department. It's like working in a war zone. Waiting four weeks for transfers just adds to the stress.''
She said that some departments are putting off purchases of such items used daily like saran wrap and rubber gloves in order to comply with an injunction obtained by the Belknap County Convention in Belknap County Superior Court in late August which limits the ability of the commission to transfer more than $300 between line items in the budget which the convention approved in March without the approval of the convention's Executive Committee.
Shackett said that the process is extremely cumbersome, and, while the committee did grant approval for the transfer of $34,000 to cover the county's share of employee health insurance benefits through mid-November when it met Monday, it still pushed the issue of other transfer requests off for another month.
County ommissioners were sympathetic.
''We certainly understand your frustrations,'' said Commission Chairman John Thomas (R-Belmont), while Commissioner Ed Philpot (D-Laconia) said had personally observed stress on each department head. ''It's an incredibly difficult situation to work in. It's an absurd environment. I can only hope that there's some relief in the future.''
Commissioner Steve Nedeau (R-Meredith) praised Shackett and others saying that she had been a huge positive force for the county. ''Back a few years ago this office was in shambles. You have made this a better place to work.'''
Philpot praised the county workers, saying ''despite all of this we still have people over there doing their job.''
County Commission candidate Dave Pollak (D-Laconia), who showed up at the meeting wearing a soccer official's uniform, said after the meeting that he was ''pulling a red card on the Executive Committee for unsportsmanlike conduct'' for its action on Monday when it put off consideration of other transfer requests from the commission which would have resolved the health insurance issue through the end of the year.
''Why are they playing chicken with the lives of these people? There's no reason for it. They know they have to pay. They were told by the county attorney that the four unions will go to court if they try to pass the county's health insurance costs on to the workers. Now there's a legal opinion they should pay attention to,'' said Pollak.
In other action commissioners heard from the Boys and Girls Cub of the Lakes Region that the two $250,000 Community Development Block Grants that the county helped them obtain had been used to help pay off the purchase price of the former St. James Episcopal Church which is now the permanent home of the club.
Walter Flinn, president of the club's board of directors, said that the grants made it possible for the club to own the building without a mortgage and that the cub's membership has risen from 245 to 325 since the move to the new building and that 80 percent of those taking part in the club's programs are in the low to moderate income bracket.
He said that one of the club's current challenges is attracting enough funding to retain staff for its programs.
Last Updated on Thursday, 30 October 2014 12:24
LACONIA — A former Meredith man pleaded guilty in the Belknap County Superior Court yesterday to five counts of rape and will spend at least the next 13 years in the N.H. State Prison.
Mark Thurber, 43, received five consecutive sentences. One for 10 to 20 years — all of which is to be served, one for 4 to 10 years — one year of which will be suspended pending good behavior, and three suspended sentences of 10-to-20 years each. All of the suspended portions of his sentence can be brought forward within 40 years of his release.
Thurber raped one of his female victims from the time she was 5-years-old until she was 14-years-old. The abuse happened at the girl's family's home in Tilton and in each of the homes he lived in in Meredith.
His second victim, now 20, was assaulted when she was seven to eight years old at Thurber's home that he shared with his ex-wife. Dept. Belknap County Attorney Carley Ahern said the girl would sleep between him and his wife and he would assault her while his wife slept.
Both victims and their families were in court yesterday.
Speaking softly through her tears, the victim who was abused the longest told the court she was now 14 and that Thurber would touch her and get on top of her. She said the abuse began when Thurber was living with her family, even when he had a house of his own. She said he threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone.
She said she kept it to herself for years because she was afraid. She said she began cutting herself and once tried suicide. She said her grandmother suspected something and it was last year that she told he parents what happened to her.
"I wish I could tell my family everything but it's too much for them," she said.
She told the court that she wished she could go back to the days before the abuse started and that she really wanted him to go to jail for life.
"Maybe if it happens to Mark he'd know what it's like to take a childhood away," she said. "I hope he suffers in jail."
After hearing from the girl, Judge James O'Neill asked Ahern why she would recommend 14-to-30 years when the victim just said she wished the sentence was longer.
Ahern said that she had asked the families of both victims who told they wanted "life" but after explaining to them that they would have to testify at a trial they said "okay" to the 14 to 30 years.
"The most important thing was knowing he would go away today," Ahern said.
Thurber's lawyer, John Bresaw, said the court's acceptance of the plea would bring closure and that his client was willing to take responsibility for his actions.
Bresaw said there were some mitigating factors in Thurber's life including that he became a foster child at the age of 6 and lived with 16 different foster families where he was often physically abused.
He said he was not there to make excuses for his client but to get the matter resolved.
Judge O'Neill noted there were letters about Thurber's good qualities that were submitted to the court by some of his friends, many on whom were in court yesterday to support him.
Thurber also agreed to life-long supervision and to register for life as a sex-offender. He is also mandated to take any and all classes and counseling required by the courts now and into the future including after he is released.
Eight additional counts against Thurber were not prosecuted.
Last Updated on Thursday, 30 October 2014 12:09
LACONIA — A group of people concerned and saddened by the recent spate of heroin overdoses in the city will be gathering Saturday morning at 9 a.m. at the gazebo in Rotary Park.
The gathering is the idea of Salvation Army volunteer Kathy Sorell, who said anyone in the area who is concerned about drug abuse can get together and talk about their feelings and share some ideas about what they can do to help.
She said she was so saddened when she learned of the two recent apparent heroin overdoses that she put the idea of an informal gathering on her Facebook page and at least 10 of her friends and others who feel the same way have committed to attending.
She said they will be providing coffee and donuts for anyone who attends.
Sorell said she is especially reaching out to the friends and family of the two people who died recently of suspected overdoses and hopes they'll attend Saturday morning so they'll know there are people out there who care about them.
"Even if they just want a hug or to cry, we'll be there," she said.
She said she will bring a list of local resources for those who feel they want some help but don't know who or what agency can help them.
Sorell said that she hopes there is enough community enthusiasm to continue meeting at Rotary Park on Saturday mornings.
"We don't want any negativity," she said. "We just want to reach out and try to so something positive for the city.
Last Updated on Thursday, 30 October 2014 11:57
LACONIA — Police are investigating a possible third fatal drug overdose in the city in the past week.
Chief Christopher Adams said yesterday that a woman in her mid-30s was found dead in her home in an apartment complex off Blueberry Lane.
He said police continue to investigate the overdose deaths of two other city residents on Tuesday. He said it is too early to determine if any of the deaths are related.
There have been five total overdoses in the city this week. Emergency responders were able to revive two people using Narcan, an antidote for opiate overdoses.
If anyone has any information they are asked to call the Laconia Police at 524-5252 or 527-1717.
Last Updated on Thursday, 30 October 2014 11:53
- DeVoy-Pollak race holds key to balance of power on Belknap County Commission
- Red pick-up truck stolen in Belmont
- Superintendent says recent tax cap friendly budgets have skipped prudent maintenance items
- Gilford Zoning Board says potential solar farmer missed deadline for app
- Blizzard explains consequences to marina if city takes possession of land & bldg.
- County pot still boiling