CIRCUIT COURT — An Alton man was ordered held on $2,000 cash bail after allegedly swinging an ax at a man that he knows.
Police complaints also indicated that Rodney Moody, 22, of 6 Gilmans Corner Road resisted arrest when police arrived and purposely damaged a camper window and a chicken coup, all on Monday. He is charged with one count of attempted second degree assault, resisting arrest and criminal mischief.
According to affidavits obtained from the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division, two police officers responded to a call from a woman who said a male was "going after things with an ax."
When officers arrived, they saw Moody who had a significant amount of blood on his shirt and on his right hand.
The victim indicated that Moody had swung an ax at him and punched a hole with his fist in his camper window.
The two officers spent a "great deal of time" trying to calm Moody to the point where he could be taken into custody. Affidavits said he continued to square off to them and dared them to zap him with a electric stun gun.
After a number of minutes police told him was under arrest and ordered him to lie prone on the ground. They said he refused multiple orders and allegedly told one of the officers he would break his nose.
Following several more attempts to get him to cooperate, one officer zapped Moody with the Taser and he was taken into to custody.
The victims told police that Moody had come into the driveway and was yelling. At one point he allegedly went into the barn and came out with an ax. They told police he swung the ax at their vehicle twice but missed both times.
When the victim tried to calm him down, Moody allegedly swung the ax toward his chest and the ax slipped from his grip and struck a chicken coop.
The victim retrieved the ax to keep it away from Moody. While waiting for police, Moody allegedly broke the door off the chicken coop and punched the window of the camper.
Judge Jim Carroll ordered Moody be held on $2,000 cash-only bail, which he said could be reduced to personal recognizance bail if he obtained a spot in a secure mental health treatment facility, like the New Hampshire State Hospital.
As of 6:30 p.m. yesterday, Moody was still in the Belknap County House of Corrections.
Last Updated on Thursday, 28 August 2014 12:35
LACONIA — Councilor Henry Lipman (Ward 3), chairman of the council's Finance Committee, on Monday offered his colleagues an opinion of how construction of a new Belknap County Jail would impact the financial position of the city.
Finance Director Donna Woodaman calculated the annual principal and interest on the city's share of a borrowing of $25 million for a term of 20 years at an interest rate of 4.25 percent. The city would bear approximately a fifth of the total annual debt service, consisting of annual principal payments of $250,000 and interest payments diminishing from a peak of $212,500. In other words, the first full payment would be $462,500 and decrease annually over the term of the borrowing.
In order to budget within the bounds of the city's property tax cap, the council, in borrowing to undertake capital projects, has limited annual principal and interest payments to $3.2-million. "This is blowing through our (cap) number," Lipman said of the city's share of the county's debt to build a jail. He conceded that $25-million is a hypothetical figure, but added "we should at least get it out there what we can finance."
Lipman said that he hoped county officials dealt with the facility in a timely way, explaining that his "biggest fear" is that a political stalemate at the county will stall progress and litigation, which could lead the federal government to impose solution to the problem. He urged the council to invite candidates in the county for the New Hampshire House of Representatives, who comprise the county convention, to share their views with councilors at a future meeting.
NOTE: Although Steve Bogert and Suzanne Perley faced some stiff questioning earlier this month when the City Council considered their reappointment to the Zoning Board of Adjustment, there was no further discussion this week and both were reappointed to new 3-year terms. Councilor Brenda Baer (Ward 4) cast the lone dissenting vote when Perley was reappointed by a vote of five-to-one while the council was unanimous in reappointing Bogert, who chairs the ZBA. . . . . . There were six candidates for the five seats on the reconstituted Downtown Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District Advisory Board. The City Council elected Ken Sawyer of Franklin Savings Bank and Attorney Pat Wood to three-year terms, Breanna Henderson and Charlie St. Clair to two-year terms and Robert Sawyer to a one-year term. Incumbent Warren Clement was not reappointed. . . . . . The City Council has authorized City Manager Scott Myers to order the owner of the property at 153 Church Street at Busy Corner to repair and secure the building and, should he fail to do so, ask the court to allow the city to perform the work and place a lien on the property to recover its costs. The building, at the "V" intersection of Church Street and Union Ave., which last housed a barber shop and a couple of small apartments, was the scene of a fire last winter. The property is owned by SJREJJR Family Trust and the trustee is Jospeh M. Giffiths of 757 Stage Road, Gilmanton Iron Works. The owner was asked to secure the building in February and sent a violation notice in June, but has not responded to either.
Last Updated on Thursday, 28 August 2014 12:12
LACONIA — The WOW Trail board of directors anticipates that construction of the second phase of recreational pathway, which stretches from Veterans Square to the Belmont town line, could begin next spring.
Speaking at the WOW Trail annual meeting, Gretchen Gandini, executive director, said that she expected the design work would be complete before the year is out and the funds for the project would be in hand by the coming of spring.
Alan Beetle, president of the WOW Trail board, said that HEB Engineers, Inc. of Conway has estimated the cost of constructing the second phase at $975,000, stressing "this is only an estimate." This figure is in addition to the $151,552 that has already been spent on this phase of the project.
In 2007, the WOW Trail contributed $71,881 to the cost of rebuilding the Fair Street Bridge in anticipation that it would carry the trail across the Winnipesaukee River. Since 2011 another $79,671 has been spent on design and engineering.
Treasurer Suzanne Perley reported that net proceeds from fundraising events — the WOW Ball, WOW Fest and BOW WOW Fest — and contributions amounted to $134,504 in the year ending June 30, 2014, and there is $306,000 in cash on hand.
The City Council agreed to apply $400,000 from a larger borrowing underwritten by the Downtown Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Fund to the project. And the trail was one of two recreational projects to be awarded state tax credits worth $125,000 by the New Hampshire Community Development Financing Authority. The sale of those credits to private business will net down to $100,000 for the cause.
Perley estimated that approximately $200,000 remains to be raised to fund the construction the second phase of the trail.
Beetle said the second phase, unlike the first, crosses and brook and wetlands and requires a bridge and two boardwalks. Apart from raising the funds, he said that easements remain to be negotiated with two property owners.
Beetle described the project, which was originally conceived 13 years ago, as "complicated and difficult," regretting that "it has gone so slow. But we're moving ahead," he continued. "Not at the pace I would like," he conceded, "but we are moving along. I'd like to see it done in my lifetime."
The WOW Trail presented its award for volunteer service, named in honor of the late Councilor Fred Toll, who initiated the project, to Dr,. Barry Chapin. Gandini said that Chapin is "on the trail every day " and routinely picks up debris and makes minor repairs. "He does it all on his own time, with his own tools," she said, "and deserves a big public thank you."
Last Updated on Thursday, 28 August 2014 12:07
GILFORD — Selectmen last night instructed Town Administrator Scott Dunn to rewrite the town's fireworks ordinance, lifting the ban and restricting their use to certain times.
The board reviewed a proposed draft ordinance that would allow fireworks in the town — currently they are banned — but only to residents or visitors who have permission from property owners, during certain hours, and through Fire Department permitting.
Fireworks have not been allowed in Gilford since 1988.
As part of a consensus, the board decided to eliminate the permitting portion of the draft ordinance in favor of something that would allow them between the hours of noon and 10 p.m. except on the Fourth of July when they would be allowed until just after midnight.
Selectmen Richard "Rags" Grenier brought fireworks to the table again two weeks ago, but during that meeting was undecided about what he wanted to do about them. He only knew that he didn't want to continue with a blanket prohibition.
Last night he told the board he was better prepared and wanted an simple ordinance that allowed fireworks. He suggested that Gilford follow the town of Belmont's lead and tie them to a noise ordinance.
Grenier said he didn't like the idea of having the fire chief sign off on permits he personally doesn't feel are in the best interests of public safety.
Dunn explained that a new noise ordinance must go through Town Meeting but a change to the existing ordinance could be done by selectmen.
Selectman John O'Brien has been the most vocal about banning fireworks, while Selectman Gus Benevides has been most vocal about allowing them. The ban was re-codified last year when former Selectman Kevin Hayes sided with O'Brien.
Knowing he was out-voted, O'Brien has pushed for the most restrictive possible ordinance.
Hayes was at last night's meeting and urged the board to continue the ban. He said that he lives in a wooded area and fears that the reckless use of fireworks could cause a fire.
Hayes noted that he needs a permit from the Fire Department to have a campfire in his back yard in a specially designed pit and thinks, at a minimum, the same should apply to fireworks.
Although last night's meeting was not an official public hearing, two other member of the public spoke briefly in support of keeping the fireworks ban. Both said they feared fire and both live in wooded areas.
Dunn said he would draft an ordinance that allows fireworks between the hours of noon and 10 p.m. with the exception of the Fourth of July when they will stop at 12:15 a.m. The public hearing will be held on September 10 at 7 p.m. in the meeting room in the town offices.
Fireworks displays by professionals are allowed in Gilford.
In other business, after a public hearing, Selectmen voted unanimously to make Cat Path one way with entry from Route 11-B (Intervale Road) only.
All but one resident said they supported the one-way restriction even though they acknowledged it could be difficult to get up the hill in the winter.
Speed bumps will also be installed in the non-plowing months and a sign will be placed in the town's right of way on Route 11-B directing traffic to use the primary intersection at Route 11-B and Route 11OA (Cherry Valley Road) to access Gunstock Mountain Resort.
Last Updated on Thursday, 28 August 2014 01:28
- Cost of repairing Belmont Mill put at $1.4M
- PSU breaks ground on 'transformative' ALLWell North Building
- Planning Board gets first-hand look at Arbo Ministries property
- LPD using $50k added by council to start Prevention, Enforcement & Treatment position
- Deputies find 13 pot plants growing in South End greenhouse
- City's DPW workers & firefighters have contracts