NORTHFIELD — After a month-long investigation, police from Northfield, Tilton, Andover, Belmont and Laconia -- with the assistance of the Belknap County Sheriff's Department -- arrested a Fellows Hill Road woman for drug and firearm charges on April 10.
The Sheriff's Office said Jennifer Mitchell, 38, of 135 Fellows Road faces multiple drug charges and one felony count of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Police allegedly seized methamphetamine, Xanax, Adderall, cash and some drug paraphernalia.
She was held on $5,000 cash over the weekend and is now being held in the Merrimack County House of Corrections on $4,000 cash-only bail.
Police said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be forthcoming.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 April 2015 12:07
MEREDITH — Michael Pelczar and Jonathan James have been named to fill two open seats on the Board of Selectmen. The decision was made yesterday by the three elected members of the board — Chairman Nate Torr, the lone remaining incumbent on the board, and Ray Moritz and Bev Lapham, who were elected last month.
The board interviewed five candidates, including Miller Lovett, Rosemary Landry, and David Bennett for more than an hour before making its choice. Following the interviews, Bennett, expressing doubt about his qualifications, withdrew his application.
A fourth-generation contractor, Pelczar owns and operates Inter-Lakes Builders Inc., which constructs custom homes. Born and raised in Meredith, he described himself as "a regular Joe" who seeks to perpetuate the character of the community.
James, came to Meredith as a 14-year-old. He served in the Coast Guard, worked as a homebuilder as well as a facilities manager at Freudenberg NOK and the Spaulding Youth Center, and most recently was director of buildings, grounds, housekeeping and security at the Tilton School. In Meredith he has served on the now defunct Water Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment as well as a trustee of the trust funds.
Pelczar and James will serve one-terms until the next election in March 2016.
Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 11:59
LACONIA — Arianna Johnstone, who will turn 21 next year, has begun planning for her future. She has assessed her life as she lives it today, named those closest to her and taken stock of her strengths. She has pictured her dreams and confessed her worries while specifying what must happen to fulfill the first and dispel the second.
But, Arianna's aspirations hinge on funding for the developmentally disabled, which is once again at risk in the biennial budget process. She lives with a rare chromosomal disorder — "Dup7Q11.23" — which stalled her learning at that of a 7-year-old, left her with impaired hearing poor eyesight, slack muscle tone and no power to speak. She is not fully aware of her physical surroundings and the dangers it poses for her. She is immune to the most severe physical pain.
Arianna has prospered in the Laconia school system, where she is well liked by students ad teachers alike. She spends the first part each day at school and between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. enjoys an extended day with a one-on-one aide before spending the last hour of her day at the Boys and Girls Club of Lakes Region. Against long odds, she learned to read. She is an eager player on the unified sports teams and Special Olympics. A skier, she paid for her boots and skis with what she earned working two hours a week for Easter Seals.
"She is active and always willing," said her mother, Valerie, "definitely a popular person."
Next July, when Arianna turns 21, she will no longer be the responsibility of the school district, but will join other children with disabilities in similar circumstances around the state on a list waiting for services from one of 10 area agencies. Chris Santaniello, executive director of Lakes Region Community Services, the area agency serving the region, said there are nearly 700 young adults with disabilities in circumstances like those facing Arianna, 31 of them in the Lakes Region.
Last month, the New Hampshire House of Representatives stripped more than $27 million and forwent an equal amount of federal funding for developmental services from the 2016-17 biennial budget. In particular, there would be no funding for those, like Arianna, on the waiting list. The prospect of being denied services fills Johnstone with dread.
"Ari cannot be left alone," said Johnstone. "Safety is a huge issue." She recalled that Arianna placed a hand on a hot stove, jammed a hand in a car door and fell on her face, shattering her teeth, unaware of the harm she suffered. "She doesn't understand about strangers and if she were left at home alone, she would let anyone in," she said. "Or the house could catch fire. If she got lost, I don't know how we'd find her."
Both Johnstone and her husband, Steve, work work full-time to support their family. She said that without services one of them would have to quit work to care for Arianna at home. "We will always support her. We have always supported her," Johnstone insisted. "But, it would financially ruin our family." Johnstone also feared that without the services that have enabled her to live to full extent of her abilities, Arianna "will lose that happiness that keeps her always active and always smiling."
A briefing paper on the impact of reduced expenditures for developmental services, prepared by the New hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, warned that children would suffer "medical function and behavioral regression as well as significant risk for personal harm" without support services. Parents compelled to leave work, could turn to other state benefits like cash assistance and food stamps and those who lose health insurance through their employer could enroll in Medicaid.
Johnstone said that she intends to do all she can to persuade the Senate to restore funding for developmental services to the budget.
Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 11:54
LACONIA – It was likely Travis Haynes's first time attending a School Board meeting, but on April 7 he told the full board that his children would not be taking the Smarter Balanced Assessment Tests.
Haynes said that in his opinion the Smarter Balanced Tests are "subjective" and are leading students down the wrong road.
"Essentially, local control is being lost to the federal government," he said.
While Haynes sentiments regarding Smarter Balanced Tests and the Common Core standards recently adopted by a vast majority of the state's school districts are widely held, his views are somewhat uncommon in the immediate Lakes Region.
According to Laconia Assistant Superintendent Kirk Beitler, only two parents have refused to allow their children to take the Smarter Balanced exams that were given at the elementary level recently and will be given in middle and high school this year.
Administrators in the Shaker Regional School District, the Gilford School District and the Inter-Lakes School District said there have been no parents who have refused to allow their children to take the tests.
When asked why, Laconia Superintendent Terri Forsten said she believes it's because her school district has been preparing its students and their parents for the Smarter Balanced test for quite a while.
"In fact, for those testing days, we had almost 100 percent attendance, "Forsten said.
She said when she first became superintendent two years ago she held "many, many curriculum nights" where parents were invited and Common Core and Smarter Balanced tests were explained by the administration and the teachers.
"Unless you are brand new to the district, parents have been expecting it," she said.
Gilford Curriculum Director Tracy Bricchi told her School Board this month that she feels the testing that has gone on so far has worked well.
One of the things Gilford School District did to prepare for the Smarter Balanced tests was to appoint a computer-based testing coordinator for every school.
"Our teachers spent a lot of time preparing for them," she said, adding that the Middle School coordinator spent at least 55 hours on prep time. "Our teachers are very grateful."
Bricchi said Gilford's students actually liked the tests. She said some liked the English and some liked the math, but generally she was impressed with the students who went first.
Speaking as a curriculum director, she said getting the grades back before the end of the summer is also going to be a huge benefit.
"(They are) so much better than NECAPs" she said, whose tests were given in the fall and whose results never came until the school year was nearly over.
Gilford School Board Chair Karen Thurston wanted to know if too much time was being spent preparing children for the test and not enough time was being spent in the classroom.
In response, High School Principal Peter Sawyer said "blocks will be missed to take the test."
Next year he said he wants a different testing schedule, saying delayed testing can work at the high school but he doesn't think it's good for the elementary students. He said coordinating tests for the SATs, Smarter Balanced, and advanced placement are around the same time, which can be overwhelming to many.
"Hopefully, next year the kinks will be worked out," he said, adding that the N.H. Department of Education has been very helpful.
Sawyer also said he thinks there could be some problems coordinating the Smarter Balanced test and the Huot Technical Center schedule.
While he didn't speak about the Huot Center in particular, Beitler said scheduling this first year has had its challenges but overall he thinks it will work out well.
Beitler had the same concerns as Sawyer regarding advanced placement testing and Smarter Balanced Testing, plus the NECAP test for science and the SATs. "It's a lot," he said.
"We can't let testing interrupt instruction," said Beitler who said he is looking for the best balance possible.
In fact four school districts – Sanford, Rochester, Sanborn, and Souhegan - have been singled out to pilot a test program this year under which the number of grades that take the test will be cut in half. Smarter Balanced will still be given once in elementary school, once in middle school and once in high school said Ellen Hume-Howard of the Sanford School District during an interview on the "The Exchange" – a daily Public Radio show.
Beitler and Sawyer said they are waiting for the pilot program to finish so they can evaluate the results and see if it's appropriate for their schools.
But until the pilot is complete or unless the state trots out a different program, Smarter Balanced Testing his here to stay.
As for offering an alternative test to those students whose parent object to Smarter Balanced, the Department of Education said on its Webpage that it does not have the authority to offer school districts to "opt out" nor do individual school districts have the authority to offer a different performance-based test in lieu of Smarter Balanced.
"In addition, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act requires all district that accept federal funds under this Act to implement the statewide assessment in order the continue the receipt of funds," reads the DOE "Talking Points" available on its Website.
And that's probably not the answer Haynes was hoping to get.
He said his son spent a "whole week" practicing for the Smarter Balanced Test and a second week studying for it. He said he considering home-schooling for his children.
"I hope in the future we look at curriculum. I want to empower our schools and not the federal government," he said.
Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 11:41
- Mechanical failure suspected in Center Harbor roll over
- Laconia students hope ‘Sticker Shock’ will keep alcohol out of young hands
- Forsten to head Concord School District
- In Laconia, Sen. Graham urges re-authorization of Export-Import Bank
- LRGH expects to double size of emergency department
- Crash into utility pole closes Province Rd. for 6 hours