A+ A A-

Smarter Balanced Tests implemented without local controversy

LACONIA – It was likely Travis Haynes's first time attending a School Board meeting, but on April 7 he told the full board that his children would not be taking the Smarter Balanced Assessment Tests.

Haynes said that in his opinion the Smarter Balanced Tests are "subjective" and are leading students down the wrong road.

"Essentially, local control is being lost to the federal government," he said.

While Haynes sentiments regarding Smarter Balanced Tests and the Common Core standards recently adopted by a vast majority of the state's school districts are widely held, his views are somewhat uncommon in the immediate Lakes Region.

According to Laconia Assistant Superintendent Kirk Beitler, only two parents have refused to allow their children to take the Smarter Balanced exams that were given at the elementary level recently and will be given in middle and high school this year.

Administrators in the Shaker Regional School District, the Gilford School District and the Inter-Lakes School District said there have been no parents who have refused to allow their children to take the tests.

When asked why, Laconia Superintendent Terri Forsten said she believes it's because her school district has been preparing its students and their parents for the Smarter Balanced test for quite a while.

"In fact, for those testing days, we had almost 100 percent attendance, "Forsten said.

She said when she first became superintendent two years ago she held "many, many curriculum nights" where parents were invited and Common Core and Smarter Balanced tests were explained by the administration and the teachers.

"Unless you are brand new to the district, parents have been expecting it," she said.

Gilford Curriculum Director Tracy Bricchi told her School Board this month that she feels the testing that has gone on so far has worked well.

One of the things Gilford School District did to prepare for the Smarter Balanced tests was to appoint a computer-based testing coordinator for every school.

"Our teachers spent a lot of time preparing for them," she said, adding that the Middle School coordinator spent at least 55 hours on prep time. "Our teachers are very grateful."

Bricchi said Gilford's students actually liked the tests. She said some liked the English and some liked the math, but generally she was impressed with the students who went first.

Speaking as a curriculum director, she said getting the grades back before the end of the summer is also going to be a huge benefit.

"(They are) so much better than NECAPs" she said, whose tests were given in the fall and whose results never came until the school year was nearly over.

Gilford School Board Chair Karen Thurston wanted to know if too much time was being spent preparing children for the test and not enough time was being spent in the classroom.

In response, High School Principal Peter Sawyer said "blocks will be missed to take the test."

Next year he said he wants a different testing schedule, saying delayed testing can work at the high school but he doesn't think it's good for the elementary students. He said coordinating tests for the SATs, Smarter Balanced, and advanced placement are around the same time, which can be overwhelming to many.

"Hopefully, next year the kinks will be worked out," he said, adding that the N.H. Department of Education has been very helpful.

Sawyer also said he thinks there could be some problems coordinating the Smarter Balanced test and the Huot Technical Center schedule.

While he didn't speak about the Huot Center in particular, Beitler said scheduling this first year has had its challenges but overall he thinks it will work out well.

Beitler had the same concerns as Sawyer regarding advanced placement testing and Smarter Balanced Testing, plus the NECAP test for science and the SATs. "It's a lot," he said.

"We can't let testing interrupt instruction," said Beitler who said he is looking for the best balance possible.

In fact four school districts – Sanford, Rochester, Sanborn, and Souhegan - have been singled out to pilot a test program this year under which the number of grades that take the test will be cut in half. Smarter Balanced will still be given once in elementary school, once in middle school and once in high school said Ellen Hume-Howard of the Sanford School District during an interview on the "The Exchange" – a daily Public Radio show.

Beitler and Sawyer said they are waiting for the pilot program to finish so they can evaluate the results and see if it's appropriate for their schools.

But until the pilot is complete or unless the state trots out a different program, Smarter Balanced Testing his here to stay.

As for offering an alternative test to those students whose parent object to Smarter Balanced, the Department of Education said on its Webpage that it does not have the authority to offer school districts to "opt out" nor do individual school districts have the authority to offer a different performance-based test in lieu of Smarter Balanced.

"In addition, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act requires all district that accept federal funds under this Act to implement the statewide assessment in order the continue the receipt of funds," reads the DOE "Talking Points" available on its Website.

And that's probably not the answer Haynes was hoping to get.

He said his son spent a "whole week" practicing for the Smarter Balanced Test and a second week studying for it. He said he considering home-schooling for his children.

"I hope in the future we look at curriculum. I want to empower our schools and not the federal government," he said.

 

Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 11:41

Hits: 281

Mechanical failure suspected in Center Harbor roll over

CENTER HARBOR – A Meredith man escaped serious injury yesterday afternoon when his car rolled over on Route 25B yesterday afternoon.

Police Chief Mark Chase said the crash occurred on Route 25B and he said there is no reason to think it was anything but an accident.

"It looks like it could have been something mechanical," he said, noting that this time of year there is a lot of loose sand on road shoulders that can cause slippery conditions.

The driver, who was alone, was able to get out of the Toyota RAV 4 on his own, and wait for police.

Chase said one side of the road was closed for about an hour while police investigated. The vehicle was towed from the scene.

Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 05:09

Hits: 235

Laconia students hope ‘Sticker Shock’ will keep alcohol out of young hands

LACONIA — When the next case of beer gets sold at Vista Supermarket, the buyer will see a bright yellow sticker that reminds him or her that it is not legal to purchase for or give alcohol to anyone who is under 21.

The stickers were placed on the cases of beer by a group of 7th and 8th grades from Laconia Middle School who wore red T-shirts over turtle necks and  braved the snow and cold yesterday morning to participate in the Sticker Shock Campaign – a national effort to remind adults that it is unlawful and dangerous to provide alcohol to minors.

"If kids don't change what's happening around them, not many adults will take the initiative," said 8th grader Tony Collings who was carefully placing his yellow stickers on the cases of beer in the center of the beer display.

Store manager Bob Fitzpatrick said he was thrilled to be one of the local business managers who was chosen to participate in Sticker Shock. Fitzpatrick said his store has a hard and fast rule about asking everyone who purchases alcohol to provide some identification. Reminding them that it is also illegal to give to or buy alcohol for a minor adds a powerful message, he said.

Assistant store manager Jordan Swanson said Sticker Shock was "awesome" and is "a great way to get kids involved."

Eighth grader Brooke D'Amico said that placing the stickers on the cases shows there are consequences for giving alcohol to minors and Dante Parker, also an 8th grader, said he wanted to raise awareness for giving alcohol to minors.

"It's important to me and some of my peers who are doing so well," said Jordan Poire, also from the 8th grade. "I don't want to see any of them get off track by using alcohol."

Helping the group get out their message was Clare Persson who organized Sticker Shock as part of her role in Stand Up Laconia. She was assisted all day by Belknap County Restorative Justice Director Brian Loanes, N.H. Liquor Enforcement Officer Glen Ballock, Prevention and Education Police Officer Eric Adams and Juvenile Officer Peter "Tony" Horan of the Laconia Police Department and Rick Frost of the U.S. National Guard.

Other city stores participating in Sticker Shock were Cumberland Farms, Premium Mart, Circle K, Case & Keg, Sunoco, and the Laconia Spa. The students and their adult assistants ended the day with a pizza party at the middle school with pizza provided by Sal's Pizza of Belmont.

Last Updated on Friday, 10 April 2015 12:27

Hits: 144

Forsten to head Concord School District

LACONIA – Terri Forsten has accepted the position as superintendent for the Concord School District and will be starting on July 1.

Forsten has been the superintendent of the Laconia School District for two years and its assistant superintendent before that. She has been with the Laconia School District for 20 years.

"I wanted it, I applied for it and now that it happened I'm taking pause and realizing just how my life and career has been shaped by Laconia," she said. "I am so grateful to have had this chunk of my life here."

Forsten started with Laconia Schools as the principal of Pleasant Street School in 1995 and in 2005 was promoted to assistant superintendent. In 2013 she was promoted to superintendent in the wake of former Superintendent Bob Champlin's retirement.

Before coming to Laconia, she was with the Hollis, Candia, and Concord School Districts as a special education teacher and curriculum coordinator. She also worked as a special education teacher at Concord State Hospital.

She said Laconia was a district that was just small enough to be able to move with the times and just large enough to be able to take advantage of many federal and state programs.

"A piece of Laconia will always remain with me," she said.

Forsten graduated from Keene State College with her teaching degrees and earned her master's at the University of New Hampshire. She has taken graduate courses at Harvard University and Plymouth State University and earned her certification to be a superintendent.

A unanimous Concord School Board decision to make her the next superintendent came as no surprise. Forsten lives in Concord and was the selection committee's first and only choice presented to the full board.

As to Laconia, Forsten said that the School Board has posted a meeting for April 15 at 6 p.m. to interview companies who have submitted applications to do a superintendent's search.

She also said that Assistant Superintendent Kirk Beitler and Business Administrator Ed Emond and the rest of the school district staff will be in place and she has every confidence in them.

Last week, School Board Chair Joe Cormier sent an email to all staff and School Board members saying the same thing and reminding them that the leadership team is a team and not just one person.

 

 

Last Updated on Friday, 10 April 2015 12:09

Hits: 199

The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette