A+ A A-

Gorham man charged with kidnapping Conway teen

By Daymond Steer

Conway Daily Sun

 

CONWAY – A former Kennett High School student who was in Conway District court earlier this month on unrelated charges and has a history of psychiatric problems has been arrested for the kidnapping Abby Hernandez, the 15-year-old girl who showed up at her home eight days ago after being missing for nine months.
Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, of 4 Brookside Drive, Gorham, was arrested and charged with one count of "felony kidnapping for knowingly confining" Hernandez on Oct. 9, 2013, "with a purpose to commit an offense against her," according to statement released by the New Hampshire Attorney General.
The arrest was made at about 12:04 p.m., Monday, without incident at Kibby's residence in Gorham.
An armored police truck was located at the Conway Police Department Monday afternoon but police wouldn't confirm or deny if it was involved.
"Over the course of the past week, law enforcement officers have worked around the clock to ascertain the facts and circumstances surrounding Abigail's disappearance and return," said a statement investigators released late Monday afternoon. "Abigail Hernandez provided the police with details of her kidnapping sufficient to warrant today's arrest."
No details were released about any of the circumstances around the alleged kidnapping or what he may have done to her, but more information is expected to come from Kibby's arraignment, which is scheduled Tuesday at 1 p.m. in Conway's District Court with a press conference scheduled to be held after. The man charged with kidnapping Abby Hernandez attended Kennett High School and has been in and out of the local court since he was a young man, including a 1998 incident when he was charged with assaulting a female classmate and spent time in the psychiatric unit of the state prison because he had threatened to harm himself.
Hernandez, 15, of North Conway, went missing on Oct. 9 and returned home under mysterious circumstances on July 20.
At the time, Abby was a ninth grader at Kennett High School. In the late 1990s, Kibby, then a teenager himself, was convicted of assaulting a girl who was a high school freshman at the time.
Kibby was in Conway Circuit Court on July 23. He was found guilty of criminal trespass and was given a $1,240 fine which was suspended pending one year of good behavior. A simple assault charge was dropped.
As a part of his plea deal, Kibby is to have no contact with the alleged victims.The assault charge alleged that Kibby pushed a woman to the ground in Redstone in early March. The trespassing charge said he trespassed at the same address where the alleged assault took place.
According to court papers filed by Kibby, the conflict between him and the victims (a man and woman) began when he rear-ended the man in a car accident. Kibby said the man became upset and began to threaten him. Kibby wanted the sheriff's office to investigate because he had no faith in the police which he called "an immoral organized criminal syndicate."
After his arrest on the assault and trespassing charges, Conway police apparently seized his gun, Kibby filed a request to the judge to get it back. In that memo to the court, Kibby described himself as living a "respectable life."
"The accusation is absurd & and not credible based upon my character & and my objectivist libertarian moral code," wrote Kibby in March. "That I am a life long NH resident, possess a stable job, own my own home outright & live a respectable life."
In another recent document he filed with the court regarding those two charges, Kibby said he worked at EMM Precision.
In December, Kibby was fined about $400 after he pleaded guilty to marijuana possession. The drug charged stemmed from an arrest on Eastman Road in Conway on October 22 at about 8:26 p.m.
According to information Abby provided investigators, the man who drove away with her on Oct. 9 was driving a navy blue pick-up truck on North South Road in Conway, north of the rotary. Abigail described the man as having darkish skin, dark brown eyes, black stubble facial hair, and a large build, who was slightly overweight and slightly taller than she was (5'4").
The complaint says Kibby is six feet one inch and weighs 165 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes. Kibby does not resemble the man in the sketch.
Kibby has a long history of involvement with local authorities. Kibby would have graduated in the class of 1999 but was banned from the school's property in a prior year, according to a 1998 Daily Sun story, which also said Kibby had been banned from the Mountain Valley Mall.
In 1998, and as a teenager, Kibby was found guilty of assaulting 16-year-old Shawna M. Bova of Bartlett, who was in ninth grade at the time. Kibby grabbed "Bova with his hands, and holding on to her jacket around the neck area preventing her from leaving."
At the 1998 trial, Bova testified that she was walking to the school bus to go home on Jan. 21 when Kibby approached her and asked if he could talk to her. She said no, that she had to get on the bus, and he grabbed her left arm with one of his hands and asked again if she would take five minutes to talk to him. Her jacket, she said, was over her right arm.
The two had some sort of relationship.
She testified that the first time she tried to walk away, he continued to hold onto her arm, which prevented her from moving forward. The second time she tried to walk away, he let go.
The pressure "was not easy or hard," she said, adding that it was enough pressure so that she knew he wanted her to stay.
While awaiting trial on the assault charge and others, Kibby spent 42 days incarcerated, most of which was spent in the psychiatric unit of the state prison because he had threatened to harm himself.
When Kibby testified in his own defense, he said he had a close relationship with Bova, which was evidenced by a stack of about 50 love letters he said he had received from her over the course of their four-month relationship. There were no flowers and roses, he said, adding that chivalry is dying. In addition, Kibby testified, he could not have assaulted Bova because he was lifting weights at the Cranmore Sports Center at the time.
According to a 1998 Daily Sun story, Kibby, who had been suspended from Kennett High and warned to stay off of the grounds, was seen on school property by Sharon Ward, the health aide, and Jonathan Freeman, assistant principal.
Kibby's lawyer, Don Ekberg, argued that Kibby, along with his father, had met with his guidance counselor that morning. Following that, Kibby testified, he decided that since school was almost out, he could ask his friends to get his textbooks, and he approached the school via the side street that leads to the parking lot in front of the junior high school.
Kibby testified that the vice principal was out to get him. "His goal was to get me out of school."
The judge found Kibby not guilty of the violation alleging unauthorized attendance at Kennett High School.
In April of 1998, the Daily Sun published another story about how Kibby, then a 17-year-old former Kennett High School student, pleaded no contest to using false information to purchase an assault rifle on Feb.13.
Also in 1998, Kibby also had a felony drug charge and theft charge thrown out by a judge who found that the warrantless arrest warrant was unjustified. In one 1998 court appearance, Kibby said he "feared" police because they pepper sprayed him.
Kibby also also written several letters to the Daily Sun endorsing President George W. Bush and criticizing President Barack Obama.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 July 2014 02:15

Hits: 718

Accused kidnapper’s arrest shocks neighbors

By Barbara Tetreault

Berlin Daily Sun

 

GORHAM—Many residents of the Gateway Trailer Park where Nathaniel Kibby was arrested Monday said they received recorded phone calls at approximately 11:30 a.m. advising them to stay inside.
Access into the park was closed and residents said a state police SWAT team surrounded the house and an armored vehicle was on the scene. Traffic on Route 2 by the park was shut down briefly.
Law enforcement officials entered the house without incident and residents said they received a second message shortly after noon advising them they could resume their normal activities.
After the arrest, residents said law enforcement officers were seen removing items from the home.
Kibby has lived in the trailer park for five years and neighbors described him as a loner and many admitted they were uncomfortable around him. He was known to keep guns and several people said he was physically abusive to his former girlfriend.
Park co-owner Janet Corrigan said Kibby moved into the park in July 2009 with a girlfriend who had grown up there. After the couple broke up several years ago, she said Kibby kept the trailer and remained in the park.
"He comes up and pays his rent. I have had no problems with him," Corrigan said.
Corrigan described Kibby as quiet but said he seemed more sociable lately and actually sat down and chatted when he stopped to pay his rent recently.
Corrigan said she thought many residents were wary of Kibby because he was known to have a collection of guns. But she said she never received any complaints about him.
One woman who lived in the area said Kibby spent most of his time in his home and didn't talk much to neighbors.
"He always kept to himself," she said.
In a densely populated park, many questioned if and how Abby Hernandez could have been held there for nine months.
"I can't believe she was actually being held here. This place is busy — there's people out," one resident said.
"Everybody knows everybody's business," added another.
A small blue car was in the driveway of Kibby's home, which displayed an American flag. A metal storage shed was adjacent to the trailer and some residents said at one point there was a no trespassing sign on the shed.
Residents said FBI agents went to many of the neighboring properties to ask questions about Kibby. A heavy law enforcement presence was still at the scene last night.
Corrigan said she was shocked when she learned a resident of her park had been arrested for kidnapping Abby Hernandez.
"You don't think it's going to happen here. I find it hard to believe it's in my back yard," she said.
Corrigan said she is sad about the ordeal endured by the teenager.
"I wish I could have done something but we didn't know it was happening."

Last Updated on Wednesday, 31 December 1969 07:00

Hits: 330

City Councilors baffled by ZBA decision to deny used car lot on Rte. 3

LACONIA — Members of Laconia City Council said they are baffled by the failure of the Laconia Zoning Board of Adjustment to grant a special exception to John Ganong for a used car dealership on Weirs Boulevard when at least two other locations in the commercial resort zone have been selling cars.
''This is awfully frustrating for me. It's simply not fair,'' Ganong said as he spoke to the Laconia City Council last night about his situation, which he said dates back nearly two years.
He said that he wanted to change the use of his property, located at 357 Weirs Boulevard, which formerly housed his real estate agency and later Hawaiian Shaved Ice, to a used car lot with no no more than eight automobiles at any one time and no auto work done at that site.
Ganong said that he was turned down by a 3-2 vote of the ZBA on Sept. 17, 2012 even though the same board had approved a special exception for Benson Auto to operate a used car business in the same commercial resort zone across Rte. 3 near the Tamarack Drive-In earlier that year.
"They said my request was denied because it was on the shoreline of Lake Winnipesaukee and because of the view from the road. My property is not on the shoreline, it is on Rte. 3, a major road through the state. Yes, it has a view and I pay for it in my property taxes,'' said Ganong.
He said that he appealed the ruling and was granted a rehearing but again was denied by a 3-2 vote on January 22, 2013.
''I could have a porn shop, a car wash or even sell boats or have a taxi cab stand here. But they won't let me sell cars. I feel I wasn't treated fairly, like the other guy,'' said Ganong, who noted that Gulbicki's Towing, located a few hundred yards up the road from him, is a state licensed auto sales dealer and has never had to apply for a special exception.
''I'm flabbergasted that he didn't get that permit,'' said Ward 1 Councilman Armand Bolduc, who noted that Ganong had undergone a complete heart replacement several years ago and that running a used car dealership would be a good thing for him.
Ward 5 City Councilor Bob Hamel said that he couldn't understand why a dealership was approved at one end of the commercial resort zone and Ganong was denied. ''I don't know why they would make a decision like that.''
Mayor Ed Engler said that he had spoken with Ganong about the situation and noted that there was still one avenue open to Ganong, appealing the decision to Superior Court, which Engler noted was a costly option.
Ganong said he had decided not to pursue court action and was hoping that city officials might be able to help get a new hearing on his request.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 July 2014 01:39

Hits: 240

Would be Sanbornton armed robber pleads guilty to attempted theft

LACONIA — As part of a plea arrangement, a Sanbornton man will serve 12 months in the Belknap County House of Corrections for attempted theft by unauthorized taking.

Judge Larry Smukler sentenced Aric Camire, 31, of 522 New Hampton Road to serve one to three years in State Prison for one count of receiving stolen property – a Taurus 9 mm handgun that he had reason to believe was stolen.

All of the prison sentence was suspended.

Camire had initially been charged with one count of attempted armed robbery for allegedly going into the Sanbornton General Store at 7:55 p.m. in April 2014 wearing a black ski mask and attempting to open the cash register.

He ran out the front door when two customers entered the side door. One of the customers followed Camire and told them he ran across New Hampton Road and up a hill.

Police used a Gilford K-9 that tracked the scent to Camire's mother's home. The house was dark and no one answered the door, so police got a warrant and found two magazines for a handgun, some wet blue jeans, and a single black glove similar to that witnesses said was worn by Camire at the store.

The next day, police retraced the dog track and found a chrome Taurus 9 mm handgun with one bullet in the chamber and the magazine was missing. Police also found a white and black camouflage hat and a mask that fit the description of what witnesses said Camire was wearing that night.

In exchange for allowing him to plea to attempted theft, Camire agreed to undergo substance abuse counseling at his own expense and complete any recommendations as a condition of his probation.

He was credited with 97 days of time served and will be on probation after his release until July 23, 2017.

Camire is also eligible for work release.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 July 2014 01:34

Hits: 109

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN