A+ A A-

Newfound board orders study of controversial K-6/7-12 education model

by Thomas P. Caldwell

BRISTOL — Clearly frustrated by the fact that no one had set up a projection system for the Monday meeting of the Newfound Area School Board and that information placed on the district website did not match the data that had been presented to the board, Bristol's representative, Ben LaRoche, offered a motion to move forward and change the configuration of schools to a K-6 model.
The motion came after a public hearing during which most of those in the audience expressed support for the current configuration that has students in grades 6-8 attending classes at Newfound Memorial Middle School. It was the second meeting at which residents overwhelmingly stood by the middle school concept.
Largely absent were those who have been calling for a change to keep sixth graders at the elementary schools, amidst charges that the middle school produces poor test results and exposes young children to drugs. Largely because of those concerns, voters in Bridgewater and Hebron had called for a study of the feasibility of withdrawing from the seven-town cooperative school district.
Because it was not the first time a member town has considered withdrawing, Groton board member Jeff Levesque had called for a public discussion of the possible closing of the middle school and changing to a K-6 and 7-12 educational model. At the first meeting, earlier this month, participants complained that the board had provided no reason to even consider such a move. In response, the board agreed to publish some of the data driving the discussion in time for people to digest it before the Sept. 22 meeting.
A slow response from board members about what to include for information, along with computer problems, prevented Chair Ruby Hill of Danbury from pulling together the key points in time for publication in the newspapers, so she arranged for the data to be placed on the school district website ahead of Monday's meeting.
Vice-Chair Vincent Migliore of Bridgewater had planned to go over the numbers while they were projected overhead during the meeting, but none of the technicians had followed through on the setup, leaving Migliore to speak without visual aids.
"People are giving opinions on what needs to be done at the middle school, but nothing will pass unless we put together a comprehensive plan that shows what we will accomplish," said Migliore.
Picking up on Hill's comment that studies take time and leave a lot of people wondering if the school board is capable of making a decision, LaRoche said that, to move things along, he would offer his motion to direct the superintendent to transition the district to a K-6 model. "I realize it's probably not popular," said LaRoche, "but I'm convinced some change needs to happen. We need a motion that focuses the direction and will allow us to come up with what the numbers are, what the problems are. It's very difficult to look at all the options and know what's needed when there are so many possibilities."
He added, "I find it a very frustrating thing, like the technology tonight. It's frustrating that I can find an obituary from 1894 on the Internet, but I can't find information on middle school costs, and then to have a member of the public come to us with a document from 2003 that was probably easy to find."
He was referring to a study the school district had done when John Graziano was superintendent which outlined all the maintenance that the district schools required. Bristol resident Steve Favorite brought a copy of the report to the meeting, but Superintendent Stacy Buckley said she had been unable to find the information at the central office.
Migliore said that adopting a K-6 model would effectively stall the movement to have Bridgewater and Hebron withdraw from the district.
LaRoche's motion went down in defeat after Buckley pointed out that having the numbers in time for the 2015-16 academic year would be impossible, since that budget is being developed now. "I would ask for time to do the study well and make sure we do it right," she said.
The school board spent almost an hour trying various motions that would explore a K-6 configuration but various board members had objections to each of them. While Hill said she supported a K-6 configuration, she had concerns about how to implement the change in a way that would have all of the schools "in the same place at the same time" rather than some schools making the change and others continuing with the current setup.
Levesque wanted to make sure that any plan included the means to keep the middle school open, even if it meant putting some elementary classrooms or the school administrative unit office there. Although he had brought up the issue of closing the school so the discussion would occur, he said he did not favor the closing.
Hebron member Don Franklin wanted to be sure that any study would give the newly formed facilities committee, of which he is chair, a chance to consider the best use of the buildings the school district maintains. The district as a whole maintains five schools with Bridgewater and Hebron handling the maintenance of the Bridgewater-Hebron Village School which those towns built and have been leasing to the school district for $1 a year.
While saying she already has had too little time to address academic issues, Buckley said it made sense to explore the change to K-6 but she would want to do it right so the district would not be facing oversized classes with a fluctuation in student population.
Buckley took the opportunity to say that talk of drugs at the middle school was overblown. She said there had been only two incidents with drugs last year, adding that drug use is a community problem, similar to other communities in the state. She created a stir in the audience when she revealed that a bag of heroin had been discovered in the elementary school parking lot.
Christine Davol of New Hampton was adamantly opposed to a K-6 change, asking how it would make things better for the district.
During the public comment period, Erin Camire of Bristol commented, "I've heard a lot about the cost of this and that. As a taxpayer, school safety and education are the most important. I will do everything I can to get my kids out of the school district if you go to 7-12, and so will a lot of other parents. You're worried about declining enrollments, but what will that do to your numbers? High school is intimidating enough for high school students; it's not for seventh and eighth graders. Listen to the taxpayers and the children, not to someone getting paid to do a study."
Levesque responded, "People said they're sick of hearing about the money, but without money, we can't make anything happen. Educating children costs money. To criticize us for talking about costs is not right."
In the end, the school board approved a motion directing the superintendent to come up with a plan to implement a K-6 configuration for the 2016-17 school year for board consideration in April.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 12:50

Hits: 358

Council parks contentious Weirs zoning ordinance change

LACONIA — The City Council on Monday shelved a resolution asking the Planning Board to recommend amending the zoning ordinance to designate "vehicle dealership, sales and service" a permitted use in the commercial resort district, which includes almost all of the Weirs. The vote was unanimous.

The ordinance currently requires a so-called special exception to operate an automotive facility in the district.

The resolution was offered in response to decisions of the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) to deny special exceptions to John Ganong, who sought to display eight used cars on his property at 355 Weirs Boulevard, and Charles Gulbicki of Gulbicki's Towing and Auto Repair at 1193 Weirs Boulevard. Earlier the ZBA granted a special exception to Benson's Auto, Inc. of Franklin to sell vehicles from a lot at the corner of Rollercoaster Road and Rte 3 in the commercial resort district.

Originally peaking in support of the resolution, Councilor Brenda Baer (Ward 4) said there were two issues, the obligation of the council to serve its constituents and encourage local businesses. "It's a matter of fairness and loyalty to taxpayers," she said. The resolution, she explained, provided "another avenue," not only for Ganong but for any entrepreneur. Baer said that amending the ordinance was "the fair thing to do" and would "make it easier to do business."

Councilor Bob Hamel (Ward 5) agreed, adding that the Planning Board should also consider the uses that are permitted without a special exception in the commercial resort district, which include nightclubs and sexually oriented businesses.

However, Councilor Ava Doyle (Ward 1), whose ward includes much of the commercial resort district, said flatly "I can't support this," reporting that "everyone I've heard from is opposed to this." The Weirs, she noted, is home to significant investment in tourism and hospitality, but, also includes a number of undeveloped properties that would become inviting to automotive dealers. "We could end up with Crazy Harry's Last Ditch Car Dealer," she warned. Doyle suggested that the Planning Board be asked to consider changing the zoning ordinance to prohibit automotive dealerships in the commercial resort district.

"This is not the way to go," declared Councilor David Bownes (Ward 2), who said that amending the zoning ordinance to address a particular case is "a knee-jerk reaction to a single issue."

"We are here for one person," Baer countered.

"We listen to everybody," Bownes replied, adding that if there is a problem with the zoning ordinance, "we should address it comprehensively."

Councilor Henry Lipman (Ward 3) said "I want a result, not a tennis match."

Mayor Ed Engler suggested tabling the resolution on the understanding that an alternative resolution will be drafted to request the Planning Board to review all the uses permitted, prohibited and requiring a special exception in the commercial resort district and to recommend changes to the council. But the council instead decided to defeat the resolution as presented and return to discuss a broader resolution at the next meeting.

In 2007, when consultants sponsored from the United States Environmental Protection Agency considered the future development of the city, they noted that 85 percent of The Weirs is zoned for commercial uses and only 15 percent for residential uses. Their report recommended "refining" the zoning by replacing the one district — commercial resort — with a number of smaller districts, each with defined uses. Nothing has been done in response to this suggestion.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 12:43

Hits: 176

Commission asks judge to force lawmakers to meeet

LACONIA — The Belknap County Commission and Belknap County Convention returned to court yesterday when the commissioners asked Justice James D, O''Neill, III of Belknap County Superior Court to compel the executive committee of the convention to hold an emergency meeting on Thursday to approve transfers of funds they claim are required to sustain operation of the nursing home, county jail and sheriff's department.

With appropriations for wages of part-time employees and overtime expended, the commission seeks to transfer funds appropriated for full-time employees and other purposes to maintain staffing of the nursing home, county jail and sheriff's department . The impending fiscal crisis follows the decision last month of Justice James D. O'Neill, III of Belknap County Superior Court prohibiting the commissioners from transferring more than $300 from one line item to another without the approval of the executive committee.

Attorney Robert Desrosier, representing the commissioners, told the court that the convention has assumed authority over the county budget and the commissioners were simply asking that they exercise it. He asked the court to order the executive committee to meet on Thursday or temporarily stay its order, allowing the commissioners to transfer the necessary funds without the committee's approval.

Desrosier said that by 11 a.m. Friday there would not be sufficient funds in the appropriate line to pay part-time employees at the nursing home, which would require the staff to be cut by more than half. He explained that county officials had spoken with the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services about placing some of the 94 residents in other county nursing homes and were told that they would incur penalties and sanctions. In any event, he noted, there are no funds available to transport residents.

"There is plenty of money in the budget," he stressed, "but its in the wrong category."

Likewise, Desrosier said that without transferring funds for staffing at the jail, shifts would be reduced from five to three officers and medicines could not be provided to inmates. Superintendent Dan Ward said that the jail is already in lockdown and visits from the public and educational and drug abuse programs cancelled while inmates confined to their cells for much of the day.

Sheriff Craig Wiggin anticipated that unless funds became available he would have to suspend the dispatch service, leaving nine of the 11 police departments in the county without nighttime service.

The convention, represented by attorney David Horan, objected, claiming that it was not advised of the urgency of the situation in time to schedule a meeting. He noted that last month the executive committee scheduled a meeting on September 15, but when the meeting convened the commission presented no requests for transfers.

Desrosiers countered that on September 4, well before the meeting, he informed Horan that two of the three commissioners as well as the county administrator would be unable to attend a meeting on the 15th while emphasizing the need to meet as soon as possible. "If the convention wants the power to supervise the budget," he repeated, "it must step up and exercise its authority. The issue here is just good government."

Horan said that on Monday, Representative Frank Tilton (R-Laconia), chairman of the Executive Committee, scheduled a meeting for September 29 and expressed two concerns about meeting sooner. His primary concern was to ensure that the general public, which has an interest in the conduct of county government, would have sufficient notice of the meeting and ample opportunity to attend it. Second, he said that the committee must have sufficient information and time to digest it. Although the commissioners provided a list of transfers, which runs to three pages, he said in the past transfer requests were presented on forms, which explained the source and purpose of the funds and the remaining balances in the relevant accounts. "None of that information has been provided," he said. Describing the list as "woefully inadequate," he said that 'the executive committee will have to do lots of research. It's not fair expect this of volunteers paid $100 a year. "

"We're asking for a meeting," Desrosier said. "What we're talking about is government." He explained that the commissioners sought a "dialogue so that they can provide services."

O'Neill asked Desrosier "are you telling me that the nursing home, jail and sheriff's department can't operate unless $617,872.20 is transferred by Thursday?" Then asked how much would be required to sustain operations until the executive committee met on September 29. After a recess, Desrosier told the court that approximately $455,500, transferred from seven budget lines, would be sufficient.

O'Neill said he would render his decision sometime Wednesday morning.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 12:35

Hits: 277

No Indian artifacts found beneath Belmont trail path

BELMONT — After digging 89 excavation pits along the proposed route of Phase I of the Lake Winnisquam Scenic (recreation) Trail, it appears there were no significant artifacts discovered that could delay the project further.

Town Land Use Technician Rick Ball said yesterday that the preliminary assessment from Louis Berger & Associates — the engineering company performed the Phase I-B archeological study — told him that noting was found except an early 20th century refuse pile that is outside the scope of the trail.

"I would not recommend further archeological investigation of the site," Ball read yesterday from a letter he received from the company.

Ball said that his understanding is that once the information is officially recorded by the N.H. Department of Transportation it will complete the categorical exclusion required by the grant being used to pay for much of the trail.

Ball said the Phase I-B archeological cost $15,000, 80 percent of which was paid by a federal Statewide Transportation Improvement Program.

Once the consultant files his report with the DOT, Ball said he will be able to begin getting easements.

"The final plans are okay," he said, noting that costs may have to be adjusted slightly once the DOT gets is new quarterly construction rates.

Ball said that as soon as the easements are finished, the town should be able to put the construction portion out to bid.

"Our goal is to advertise by December 1 with a construction start of next spring," he said.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 01:09

Hits: 192

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN