LACONIA — The Eastern Junior Hockey League announced this week that it has re-worked its 2013-14 regular season schedule to accommodate the revocation of the New Hampshire Lakers franchise for one season. The club was previously knows as the Laconia Leafs.
The league said that the Lakers requested the revocation for the 2013-14 season two weeks ago, as is permitted by league bylaws, and the EHL quickly adopted the revised schedule.
The Daily Sun reported last week that it had learned from multiple sources that the Lakers were planning to take a year off from competing in the newly-formed Eastern Hockey League, which starts play in September, and plan to field a team for the 2014-2015 season.
The Lakers had been looking for a new head coach to replace Joe Cardarelli, who resigned last month, and earlier this month had announced the hiring of Rocky Romanella as an assistant coach who also serve as recruiting coordinator.
The Lakers have played their home games at the Laconia Ice Arena.
Teams in the Eastern League consists of amateur athletes recruited from around the country and world who largely hope to catch the eyes of college scouts.
Last Updated on Friday, 06 September 2013 03:59
LACONIA — A Jackson Street man charged Wednesday with breaking into the Opechee Trading Post and stealing the owner's gun was ordered held on $20,000 cash-only bail yesterday.
Henry A. Rogers, 40, is charged with one count of burglary and one count of theft. In an unrelated incident, he is also charged with simple assault for slapping woman on June 1.
Affidavits said police were able to identify Rogers after his picture ran in local media and police received multiple calls from people who recognized him. At least one police officer also recognized Rogers.
Although Rogers allegedly cut the wires to a surveillance camera and removed the DVD, camera technicians were able to recover a photo of him and broadcast it on television and in a local newspaper.
Should he post bail, Judge Jim Carroll of the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division ordered he have no contact with the victim of the alleged assault unless it is at the jail and is related to information she needs regarding her pregnancy.
He is also ordered to stay off Opechee Street, where the store is located.
Affidavits said once police identified him, they went to his home on Wednesday and initially arrested him for not appearing in court to answer to the simple assault charge. Later that day he was also charged for the burglary and theft.
Police said they asked him where he put the stolen gun and he told them. Affidavits said he told police it was loaded. Another resident of the house told police that he just found out about the burglary and that Rogers had allegedly told him he did it but the resident didn't believe him.
Affidavits said the serial number on the gun matched the one provided by the the gun owner.
Last Updated on Friday, 06 September 2013 03:55
LACONIA — The Zoning Board of Adjustment will hold a public hearing on a proposal to loosen the restrictions on the keeping of chickens in the city at its regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, Sept. 16, at 7 p.m in the council chambers at City Hall.
Following the public hearing, the ZBA will make its recommendation to the City Council, which is vested with the ultimate authority to adopt and amend municipal ordinances.
Last month the Zoning Task Force recommended amending the zoning ordinance to permit the keeping of chickens in the residential single-family (RS), residential general (RG) and shorefront residential (SFR) districts. A "special exception" to the ordinance, granted by the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA), would be required.
The current ordinance restricts the keeping of livestock, including poultry, to four districts — the commercial resort (CR), airport industrial (AI) and rural residential I and II (RRI, RRII) districts, effectively excluding chickens from the most densely populated parts of the city.
While extending the keeping of chickens to three other districts, the task force suggests striking the airport industrial district from the list where it is permitted and requiring a special exception in the commercial resort district.
The task force's proposal closely mirrors the ordinance adopted by the Concord City Council. It would permit keeping not more than five hens — but no roosters, capons or guinea hens — for the sole use of the household in the specified districts by special exception. The breeding of chickens and sale of eggs would be prohibited. Nor could chickens be slaughtered on the premisses.
Chickens would be kept in coops placed in rear or side yards at least 10 feet from the primary residence and 20 feet from any lot line. Chickens would not be allowed to roam free. Not more than three cubic feet of droppings, stored in a closed container, could be kept at one time. Chicken coops could not be located and chicken manure could not be stored within the 50 feet of the Shoreland Protection Overlay District, which includes all land within 250 feet of the high water mark of public waters, or within any wetland or wetland buffer.
Suzanne Perley, who chairs the task force, explained that requiring a special exception to keep chickens would effectively create a register. Applicants must pay a $125 fee and demonstrate to the ZBA that the use meets eight criteria, including that keeping chickens will not impair the interests or character of the neighborhood. Perley said that the process will ensure that the city has a record of those with chickens and their whereabouts.
Chickens first drew the attention of the Planning Department in October 2005 when Karianne Shelley, then an aspiring veterinarian at age 15, requested a variance to keep two hens at her home on Old North Main Street in order to complete a 4-H project. The ZBA denied the variance, but when Shelley appealed voted three-to-two to grant the variance until she graduated from high school in two years time. Five years later Charles Drake applied for a variance to keep between four and six laying hens at his home on Bay Street. The ZBA denied his request and refused to reconsider its decision.
Last Updated on Friday, 06 September 2013 03:28
TILTON — Winnisquam Regional School District's middle school children returned to school yesterday — a week late but safely ensconced in the seventh and eighth grade wings.
Superintendent Tammy Davis said that recent air quality tests for the seventh grade wing were in the normal range, meaning the school could use two of three wings — enough space to temporarily house all three grades.
"We had an open house (Wednesday) for the sixth-grade parents and there were no concerns," Davis said yesterday. She also said the first day of school went smoothly and the students were excited to be back in school.
In mid-August, a routine air quality sample revealed that mold spores were well above acceptable levels in the sixth-grade wing of the middle school.
Levels in the seventh-grade wing were also elevated, prompting the Winnisquam School Board to delay the opening of the entire middle school for one week while air remediation experts could assess the danger levels and fix them. The eighth grade wing — built as an addition to the school in 2000 — had acceptable levels of mold spores and didn't need remediation.
In an e-mail sent to all parents on August 29, Davis said the mold removal in the seventh-grade wing was successful and there would be enough room to house all three grades temporarily. Parents were notified individually about classroom assignments and schedules.
Davis also said middle school students will make up three of the five missed days by having classes on days previously scheduled as professional development days for teachers. On those — Friday October 11, Friday November 8, and Friday January 24 — the school buses will operate for middle school students on a normal daily schedule.
She said the principal will be working with the teachers to develop a plan for them to make up the professional time lost to the school delay.
As of last week, the school district had spent about $100,000 on the mold remediation. School Board members were told to expect as much as $120,000 in costs for the remediation.
Experts attributed much of the excess mold growth this year to an unusually wet, rainy, and humid spring and summer coupled with high ground-water levels that inhibit the floors from drying completely. The dampness is especially acute in the sixth-grade wing.
Mold remediation specialist Dennis Francouer said using the air circulating system during the summer months may reduce further mold buildup in the future. Traditionally, the system is shut down in the summer to save on electricity.
Davis said the entire school building will be monitored throughout the month of October and parents will be updated about the results of the tests and the work continues in the sixth grade wing. She was hopeful it could be ready in about 2-to-4 weeks.
Francouer said last week that during the winter months relatively humidity and air temperatures drop significantly, killing the mold.
Last Updated on Friday, 06 September 2013 03:23
- Tilton Selectboard chair estimates compliance at 75% after first round of pay-as-you throw trash collection
- Police stakeout in Belmont village leads to bust of alleged heroin dealer
- Opening ceremony for BNH Stadium will precede tonight's Sachems kick-off
- Race for Mayor: Mitchell looks to invigorate tourism & retail economy
- Boy mauled by propeller in Paugus Bay boating accident
- Gilmanton officers fend of attacking German shepherd