LACONIA — Veterans organizations are constantly searching for the grave sites of fellow veterans of previous wars in order to place markers and American flags on those graves.
Yesterday in Meredith, members of the Griggs-Wyatt Post #33 American Legion marked Veterans Day by placing markers and flags at five grave sites, three of them soldiers who served in the Revolutionary War and two who served in the war of 1812.
The search for veterans' grave sites has been going on for many years as is evidenced by an account of one which was located in 1935 and whose story is recounted on the Laconia Ancestry Too website, which is maintained by the Laconia Historical and Museum Society.
This following is from the Laconia Citizen for Saturday, June 29, 1935:
"Care for Grave of Winthrop Langley:
"Laconia Post, 1670, V.F.W., has just completed the installing of a fence around the cemetery at Langley Cove where the bodies of Winthrop Langley, veteran of the Revolutionary war and his family are buried.
"Winthrop Langley was born in 1750 and died in 1834 and was buried on the shores of the lake where he settled after serving in Capt. Butler's company, Great Island 1775; and West Point, 1780.
"The Veterans of Foreign Wars take a great interest in remembering the graves of departed comrades of all wars and feel it is a disgrace to see a cemetery all covered with brush and stones where our soldier
dead are buried.
"Laconia post a short time ago cleaned up in the Laconia district alone, six of these private cemeteries.
"The committee in charge besides the commander Guy Colby included W.D. Kempton, Winfield Pearson, Bill Reister and Custer Sanborn."
The cemetery and the enclosure which was installed in 1935 are still visible from Weirs Boulevard as is an American flag which was installed at then grave in recent years which bears an insignia marker from the Sons of the American Revolution.
A history of the Winthrop Langley family which included on the website and written by a researcher of the cemetery's history says that Langley Cove was named for the Langley family and that Winthrop Langley settled in what was then Gilford on Long Bay (now known as Paugus Bay) after moving to the area from Newmarket in 1775.
Langley married Achsah Quimby, daughter of John Quimby of Gilford in 1813. According to the researcher a Mr. Libbey, who was an old neighbor, remembered attending her funeral when a small boy. The researcher wrote ''She was buried beside the highway on a small elevation, where we found twelve graves, under some pretty pine trees with field stones for head and foot of graves (the cuttings nearly work off by the elements), which is the last resting place of the Langley family, just across from Quimby Island, in Langley Cove that formerly was main land, but the water has worn a passage and made it an island.''
What was then known as Quimby Island is now known as Christmas Island where a resort and a nearby restaurant were developed by Phil Roux of Gilford in the 1950s.
For more on the Langley family visit http://www.freewebs.com/laconiaancestrytoo/home.htm.
A Sons of the American Revolution marker and an American flag mark the grave of Winthrop Langley, who fought in the American Revolution. The grave is located in a cemetery across from Langley Cove on Weirs Boulevard which also is the burial site of members of Langley's family. (Roger Amsden/for The Laconia Daily Sun)
- Category: Local News
- Hits: 350