A+ A A-

Bay Street woman accepts prison term for intent to sell heroin

LACONIA — A former Bay Street woman was sentenced to serve one to two years in the N.H. State Prison for Women yesterday after pleading guilty to one count of possession of heroin with intent to distribute it.

Carrie Conway, 34, was arrested by Laconia Police after they obtained a search warrant for her home and found about 4 grams of heroin — most of it in individual baggies.

The warrant for the search of her house stemmed from a police arrest of Conway's  teenaged son earlier in the day, when he was found to have heroin package for resale and $624 in cash on him.

Conway had been being held on cash bail told Belknap County Superior Court Judge James O'Neill that she had been clean and sober since her arrest and has participated in AA and parenting classed while awaiting trial.

"I know I messed up," she said. "I want to move on with my life and get over this and be there for my kids."

"Were you thinking of them when you had the drugs?" asked O'Neill while he was considering whether or not he would accept her guilty plea in exchange for the 1-to-2 year sentence.

She said that both of her children were in court yesterday and that she wasn't thinking of them at the time.

Her attorney offered that her addiction likely drove her to sell the drugs and since being incarcerate she has "new insight" into her life.

Conway has a criminal record that dates back to 1998. There has been one felony conviction for forgery and a number of convictions for simple assault, resisting arrest, and receiving stolen property.

O'Neill said he had some reservations about accepting her plea and reminded her that the maximum sentence was 3 1/2 to 10 years in prison. He told her was she was getting a new chance and that she should think about how her children must feel about seeing her get sent to prison.

Conway was credited with 163 days of time served and ordered to pay a $350 file plus $84 in administrative costs. Credited with $292 seized during the arrest, she said she could pay the balance yesterday. One year of her sentence is suspended pending her good behavior. She has agreed to three years of probation and to be on parole during the suspended portion of her sentence.

Last Updated on Friday, 03 January 2014 01:44

Hits: 436

Channel 9 surrenders tape of jailhouse interview wiht accused killer Shawn Carter

LACONIA — WMUR television has agreed to give the the N.H. State Attorney's Office a complete copy of its taped interview with accused double ax murderer Shawn Carter.

According to a filing obtained in the Belknap County Superior Court, one of WMUR's reporters interviewed Carter on December 3, during his incarceration at the Belknap County Jail.

While a portion of the interview was aired by WMUR, Senior N.H. Asst. Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin told them he felt he was entitled to view the entire session. Strelzin contacted Carter's defense team of Robin Wight and Eric Wolpin who said they also wanted to see the entire interview.

WMUR initially refused to give the state the entire interview, citing its internal policies as well as reporter privilege, offering the state the portion that was aired.

Rather than filing for a search warrant, the state filed a motion in court asking for the entire tape. On December 23, Strelzin filed a notice in Belknap County Superior Court saying that WMUR has agreed to give him the tape and the motion he filed was moot.

Carter is accused of chopping his mother Priscilla Carter and brother Timothy Carter to death on either May 23 or May 24 in the Sunset Drive home the three shared in the Winnisquam section of Belmont. Carter was arrested on May 24 for driving without a license and was formally charged with four counts of second-degree homicide on July 9.

Since May 24 he has remained incarcerated in the Belknap County Jail.

The WMUR reporter interviewed him and showed him the affidavits filed in support of his arrest arrest warrant.

In the course of the interview, the WMUR reporter showed Carter the police affidavits filed in support of his arrest warrant and asked him if he committed the murder. He replied that he was being charged with murder.

In his motion, Strelzin had argued that the interview didn't fall under the privilege accorded to reporters to protect their sources because there was no "source" in this case. He said the state wanted to review the entire interview to see if Carter made any admissions because the state prosecutor has an obligation not just to obtain convictions but to use "'every legitimate means to bring about a just (conviction.)'" He said the taped interview may also contain exculpatory information that Carter's defense could use.

Carter defense team has also raised issued on his competency to stand trial.

Strelzin also argued that the defendant's interview is evidence of his mental health and that he was able to speak to a stranger and review the affidavits has a bearing on whether or not he competent and is able to assist in his own defense.

Last Updated on Friday, 03 January 2014 01:37

Hits: 1754

Lorentz picked to head N.H. Economic Development effort

LACONIA — Belknap Economic Development Council Executive Director Carmen Lorentz has been nominated by Governor Maggie Hassan to become the state's new director of the Division of Economic Development. The appointment was made public Thursday by State Senator Andrew Hosmer during a speech before the Laconia Rotary Club.
''I'm thrilled with the opportunity and welcome the challenges of the new position,'' said Lorentz, a Lakes Region native.
''We're very sorry to see her go. It's a loss for Belknap County but a gain for the state of New Hampshire,'' said Sean Sullivan, chairman of the board of directors for BEDC.
He said that Lorentz had provided strong leadership, notably in the areas of advanced manufacturing and workforce development through the 200 by 2020 initiative, which links students with job internship opportunities.
Sullivan said the BEDC is in the process of starting a search for her successor.''We want to continue with the strong momentum that she has provided us with.''
Lorentz lives in Gilmanton with her husband, Jonathon, and son, Julius, and has headed the BEDC since March of 2011. Prior to that she was a senior economic development specialist for the consulting firm of Carmoin Associates of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., where she assisted more than 50 communities across the Northeast in economic development planning, business attraction, and downtown revitalization.
A 1995 graduate of Gilford High School, Lorentz (then, Carmen Reed) went on to study International Affairs at George Washington University. She spent several years in Washington, DC, lobbying Congress on foreign policy issues and working at an international foundation.
Lorentz focused on state and local government policy in her Master's degree program at the University of Maryland School of Public Policy. She subsequently participated in New York's Public Management Institute, which afforded her the opportunity to analyze state economic development policies.
Her nomination is expected to come before the Executive Council for confirmation on January 15, and, if confirmed, she is expected to start work late this month.
The Division of Economic Development is a division of the state's Department of Resources and Economic Development (DRED) and is currently led by interim director Christopher Way.
Hassan had nominated Rochester Community Development Director Karen Pollard, who also served as deputy city manager in that city, to the economic development post in October but Pollard withdrew from consideration in November, electing to remain in her position in Rochester.

Last Updated on Friday, 03 January 2014 01:31

Hits: 1458

Overheated electrical outlet that was powering space heater said cause of Gilford marina fire

GILFORD — An overheated electrical outlet that was powering a space heater was likely the source of a fire that damaged a local marina Christmas Eve.

Deputy Chief Brad Ober said yesterday that the space heated was plugged into a power strip that was connected to the electrical outlet with an extension cord. He also said three other things were plugged into the power strip but the only thing that was on at the time was the space heater.

Ober said no one had been in the building since Monday and that the space heater appeared to be the only source of heat in the room.

The fire that started in the second floor canvas room was noticed by a passerby around 4 p.m. who notified the Gilford Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to extinguish it using water they brought with them.

Ober said the owners were very fortunate that the passerby noticed the smoke when he or she did. He said the canvas in the room as well as the wall had started to burn and the whole room "was getting ready to go."

He said there was about $100,000 in damage done to the building and most of it was contained to the canvas room.

Last Updated on Thursday, 02 January 2014 12:54

Hits: 271

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN