GILFORD — Fire officials said yesterday that a partially submerged boat off of Mark Island triggered a visit from the Marine Patrol and Gilford's Rescure Boat yesterday morning.
Capt. Mike Newhall said the 17-foot boat sank sometime in the last week and workers who were on the island providing service for a different homeowner saw it and reported it.
Newhall said the boat was tied to a dock and was partially submerged. He said fire crews don't know when or why the boat sank but responded because there was some initial concern that gasoline or other toxic fluids may have leaked into Lake Winnipesaukee.
He said there didn't appear to be any leakage and officers from the Marine Patrol were going to notify the owner and request he or she remove it from the water.
Last Updated on Saturday, 12 October 2013 03:16
LACONIA — City police have obtained an arrest warrant for a transient man who allegedly robbed one of his friends at knife point Wednesday night.
In a media release issued yesterday, police said they are looking for Paul E. Mullaney, 27, who has no fixed address. Police said there is no cause for general alarm but they haven't been able to locate him and are asking for the public's help.
According to police, the victim and Mullaney were together for a couple of hours earlier in the evening but around 10:15 p.m. the victim said Mullaney pulled a knife on him while the two were near the intersection of Fair and Court Streets and ordered him to give him his money.
The victim did as he was told, was not injured, and reported the alleged robbery immediately to police.
Police said the investigation is ongoing. If anyone has any information they are asked to call 524-5252 or the Greater Laconia Crime Line at 524-1717.
Last Updated on Saturday, 12 October 2013 03:14
MEREDITH — After hearing from the Public Works Facility Workgroup at a workshop last week, the Board of Selectmen agreed to seek $100,000 from Town Meeting in March to fund a feasibility study for the development of a new facility.
The working group consists of Town Manager Phil Warren, Director of Public Works Mike Faller, Superintendent of the Water and Sewer Department Dan Leonard, Director of Community Development John Edgar and Selectman Peter Brothers.
The existing facility, built in 1965 at a cost of $55,000, sits on between six and seven acres of a 29-acre lot between Daniel Webster Highway and Jenness Hill Road, which also houses the Police Department and a large landfill. The department's offices are about a mile away, in the former Police Station, on a 16-acre lot on Daniel Webster Highway.
Introducing a slide show of the facility, Warren remarked "I would definitely say that the building has exceeded its useful life. It's time for us to give it a new look."
The building, Warren explained, is failing from age. Cinder blocks are deteriorating, separating and moving. Air and vapors are entering the building. The septic system has likely neared the end of its lifespan. The bay where mechanics work and area where vehicles are washed lack proper drainage to divert waste-water from Hawkins Brook, which crosses the lot between the facility and the police station.
The building is not adequately insulated or heated. Warren said that loss of heat through the roof leaves the temperature inside at "50 degrees, if we're lucky." Moreover, the roof leaks. Faller said that employees returned to work after a rainy weekend to find rusted tools, all of which had to be cleaned and oiled. The electrical system is inadequate and outmoded. Apart from its structural flaws and mechanical shortcomings, the building lacks appropriate restrooms and locker rooms for employees and is too small to provide sufficient storage space and accommodate larger vehicles and equipment, including the Fire Department's new ladder truck. The only lift, which is sized for cars, is 16 years old.
Energy costs throughout the facility are the highest per square foot among the municipal buildings. The garage, recycling shed and transfer station are heated with waste-oil at an aggregate cost approaching $30,000 per year. In addition, vehicles stored in the "pole barn," a large shed supported by utility poles, must be warmed with 1,500 watt heaters then run for 45 minutes to warm the hydraulic systems that operate the plows, sanders and dump beds. The fueling station must be replaced by 2015 to comply with higher state and federal standards.
Faller said that he would prefer to consolidate the department, both administration and operations, at one site. "I'd like to get everyone under one roof," he said. But, he described the site as "very tight." He said that the feasibility study will indicate what can be done on the site.
Edgar said that the public works facility has been on the horizon for some time. The working group has met with with the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Committee, Energy Committee and Conservation Commission and intends to begin reaching out to the general public.
Warren told the board that "this is something we are going to need some outside help with," explaining that a feasibility study would provide the conceptual framework required to proceed with design and engineering. He emphasized that cost analysis should be based on the life-cycle of the facility, not simply its initial cost. He said that Town Meeting would be asked to fund the feasibility study in March 2014 in anticipation of appropriating construction funds a year later.
Last Updated on Saturday, 12 October 2013 03:03
SANBORNTON — Four of five residents of a home on Threshing Mill Road were taken by ambulance to Franklin Regional Hospital for evaluation after they were exposed to carbon monoxide.
Fire Chief Paul Dexter Jr. said the carbon monoxide alarms sounded in the home at 5:45 a.m. yesterday and all five residents were able to safely leave the home.
He said emergency responders detected positive readings throughout the home. The Franklin Fire Department assisted with transporting the patients.
Firefighters ventilated the home and shut down all of the appliances. A second metering of the home a few hours later detected no carbon monoxide.
Dexter said that carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in all homes and if they go off, people should always evacuate.
Dexter also recommends that as the heating season approaches, people should have their heating systems checked by appropriate and qualified service technicians.
Residents who have questions or concerns about their smoke or CO detectors should call the Sanbornton Fire Department at 286-4819.
Last Updated on Saturday, 12 October 2013 02:50
- 'Dysfunction Junction' accidents way down with rotary
- Sandwich, USA 3, Vera Cruz, Mexico 1, but good will the winner after 8th international soccer match
- Burglary arrest made after girl friend fails to buy 'can't find the hamburger' story
- Arrest made for armed robbery of Tilton store
- Budget feud extends to whether or not reps will get paid
- 4 Laconia shopkeepers label themselves 'Vintage Row'