A+ A A-

Inter-Lakes students to be given more time to wash their hands

MEREDITH — Elementary school students in the Inter-Lakes School District will be paying more attention to washing their hands before meals as a result of new administrative guidelines which will be developed after concerns expressed by a Sandwich resident at last night's school board meeting.
Andrea Marshall, a member of the Sandwich Health and Wellness Team, asked that the district's elementary schools in Meredith and Sandwich be allocated time and sink space and be instructed to leave their studies and wash their hands directly before meals.
Her original e-mail request to school administrators called for lengthening the school day by as much as 10 or 15 minutes in order to allow sufficient time for the students to wash their hands, a practice which she said is recommended by the N.H. Department of Health and Human Services and the Center for Disease Control.
''This is not a criticism of our schools, but, rather, a serious motion to upgrade hygienic practices in our district,'' wrote Marshall, who said that at the preschool level in Sandwich the practice is common.
She asked that the school district budget for added group sinks and allow a few extra minutes toward integrating the practice fully at both elementary schools.
Marshall said that if the schools did not implement a new policy that she would work to having a petitioned warrant article on the school district warrant to implement a hand washing policy.
Superintendent of Schools Mary Ellen Ormond said that she thought that issuing administrative guidelines would be a better way to move forward than through the adoption of a formal policy by the school board and her suggestion was well received by board members, who told Marshall that they agreed with her concerns.
Ormond said that she would send a copy of her proposed guidelines to Marshall before she circulated them to the schools.
Marshall said she would continue to monitor the schools to see that the goal of improved hygienic practice is being met. ''Those of us who have these concerns will have to look and see if what we would like to see happen is taking place.''
Marshall is an herbalist and wild forager who was among those making presentations in a program on botanical medicine which was presented at the Samuel Wentworth Library in Sandwich last July.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 01:56

Hits: 556

Local man sentenced to 41/2 to 11 years in prison for theft

LACONIA — A local man believed to be responsible for a string of break-ins last year, has been sentenced to serve 4½ to 11 years in State Prison after pleading guilty to one count of theft by unlawful taking and for a probation violation that stemmed from a 2011 burglary conviction.

Aaron Marchione, 22, formerly of Parsonage Drive, was sentenced in the Merrimack County Superior Court by Judge Larry Smukler. The case was prosecuted by Deputy Belknap County Carley Ahern, but was tried in Merrimack County because of conflict with the presiding judge in Belknap County.

"We are very happy with the sentence," said Lt. Alfred Lessard. "On the negative side, you hate to see so young of a man going to jail for so many years.

"He committed several burglaries and created hardships for a number of families," Lessard said, adding that police had reason to think Marchione was responsible for as many an eight burglaries in early 2013.

According to Ahern, Marchione pleaded responsible last Friday for violating probation stemming from a prior burglary conviction for drug use, the burglary charge, and for failing to complete a program at the Phoenix House Substance Abuse Program. For the violation he was sentenced to serve 1½ years to five years in prison.

For pleading guilty to theft by unauthorized taking — Marchione had jewelry in his possession from a second-hand store on Pleasant Street — he was sentenced to 3 to 6 years in prison.

Ahern explained that the two sentences area consecutive to each other, meaning he has to serve a minimum of 4½ years. He was credited with 277 days of pre-trial confinement.

As part of the plea, Marchione also pleaded guilty to a second count of theft by unauthorized taking. A 7- to 14-year sentence was suspended for 10 years on condition of good behavior.

He also pleaded guilty to one count of burglary — from November 2012 — and was sentenced to 3-to-6 years to be served concurrently (or at the same time) as the first sentence for theft by unauthorized taking.

Marchione served a year in prison after pleading guilty to burglary in January 2011 for his role in a string of burglaries that occurred over the summer in 2010. He was sentenced to serve 1½ to 4 years in prison and was released in December 2011.

According to records obtained from the Merrimack County Superior Court, at the time of his most recent arrest in late 2012, he had committed at least three probation or parole violations. He was indicted in March 2013.

Marchione's most recent arrest came in late November 2012 when a Windemere Heights family came home and found their house had just been burglarized. They called police who were able to determine Marchione had initially tired to flee by breaking a window in the bathroom.

Police, using foot patrol and a State Police K-9 team, tracked his scent and some blood droplets to 53 Parsonage Drive. Police got a search warrant and found some jewelry and a small box that belonged to the victim.

Marchione also stole two guns from the Windemere Heights house and drew a map for police so they could find the spot in the woods where he had hidden them. Police recovered the guns off Parade Road.

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 January 2014 04:28

Hits: 1105

Local man's mother files complaint against Belknap County sheriff for assault -990

LACONIA — A Belknap County Superior Court judge ruled Thursday that a sheriffs deputy who arrested a local man had reasonable suspicion that he may have committed some kind of crime and that the traffic stop that led to the arrest was justified.

Judge James O'Neill III denied Matthew Tusi's motion to suppress drug evidence seized after his August 7, 2013 arrest. Tusi, 30, of Isabella Street is charged with three counts of possession of narcotics.

Through his attorney Robert Hemeon, Tusi had argued that there was no reason for the deputy to stop him because he had committed no traffic violations during the time the deputy was behind him.

The judge ruled that taken in its entirety, Tusi's contact with the deputy gave him an "articulable" reason to stop him. The deputy first saw Tusi outside the Belknap County Jail at 9 p.m. and the two, who know each other, spoke. He told the deputy he was at the jail to "bail someone out" but the deputy said he knew the woman had been sentenced and wasn't waiting for bail. The deputy followed Tusi from the jail to Union Avenue telling the judge that he was waiting for Laconia Police support before he initiated the stop.

The deputy testified that Tusi seemed angry, was moving around in his car as if he was looking for a weapon, and didn't put his car in park when he stopped — something he said he has seen because sometimes people who are stopped take off once an officer is out of his or her car.

After the stop, which occurred around 10 p.m., Tusi ran from the deputy who was being assisted by Laconia Police and a plain-clothed, off-duty Gilford police officer. As Tusi ran behind a house on Gilford Avenue, the deputy zapped him with a Taser twice to bring him down and stunned him once more to get him to stop struggling, according to his own reports.

According to police reports, a subsequent search revealed Tusi had drugs on his person.

The detention and search of Tusi after the arrest triggered a complaint of excessive force against the deputy by Tusi's mother, who claimed her son was beaten during the course of his arrest and sexually assaulted when the deputy allegedly removed his pants and checked his private area for drugs once Tusi was in an ambulance.

She was not at the scene that night but many of her relatives were.

Two of the police reports filed since event have been made available to The Daily Sun and it appears Tusi was searched twice — once initially by the Gilford Police officer who was one of the first people to catch up to Tusi and once inside the ambulance by the deputy after he was cuffed and in custody.

A civilian witness wrote that he saw "a lot of rough motions toward the man (Tusi) who was on the ground and screaming for help. He said he called 9-1-1 and told them the police "were beating on some guy and they won't stop."

He also said he saw two police officer dragging him behind two cars that were parked in the back lot. He also said Tusi's uncle was a witness to the whole thing and said he didn't want his nephew to be out of his sight.

The witness said one police officer allegedly said to "hog tie" him and put him in the cruiser and then Tusi's uncle demanded an ambulance. He also noted that there were a number of people beginning to arrive and the police "started calming down about 75 percent."

He said he saw one officer reach into the zippered part of Tusi's pants but not remove anything.

The Gilford officer's report said he searched Tusi for weapons and didn't find any. He said he felt a square object in his pants pocket that felt like a wallet.

He mentioned the square object to the deputy and said it appeared to him that Tusi was trying to hide something at or near his groin. His report also said that when Tusi went into the ambulance, the deputy went in to "retrieve the item" and several bystanders, who were standing around the ambulance, started to "yell and act up."

Many of the bystanders were family members of Tusi, who live in the neighborhood. One of them, a female cousin, said she was looking into the ambulance and "she could see them rip his pants off and put their hands on him."

Accounts of other family members who were standing around the ambulance. His uncle wrote that the deputy "manhandled" Tusi and pulled his down his pants and underwear and grabbed him and and searched underneath him.

The deputy's report said that Tusi was flailing in the stretcher and he told the ambulance attendants that Tusi has something in he crotch and he want to search for their safety and his.

He said he was able to get his legs apart and Tusi agreed to allow a male Laconia Police officer search him. The officer found "a clear plastic bag containing several drugs."

Responding to Tusi's mother's complaint, Sheriff Craig Wiggin ordered an investigation.

He said the investigation determined that Tusi had not been assaulted and that all people who are taken into custody by police are searched and, occasionally, the search can be extensive.

"Furthermore, it was determined that in fact it was not (the deputy) who initially searched Mr. Tusi, it was another police officer on the scene," he wrote.

Wiggin said that because Tusi was facing criminal charges and was represented by a lawyer, he was unable to question him regarding the complaint.

Wiggin said yesterday that all complaints against the Belknap County Sheriff's Department are investigated thoroughly. Because the criminal case is still pending, he said he couldn't comment any further but said the investigation into the allegedly physical and sexual assault is closed and no further action will be taken.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 January 2014 04:27

Hits: 1151

Man accused of swinging club at step-son

LACONIA — A Whipple Street man was ordered held on $1,000 cash bail yesterday morning after allegedly swinging a wooden club at his stepson's head.

Police charged Jean Masse, 55, with one count of attempt to commit second-degree assault, one felony count of criminal threatening, and one felony count of reckless conduct.

According to affidavits submitted by police, Masse and his alleged victim had a physical altercation Sunday evening. When police arrived they described Masse as "very intoxicated and uncooperative."

The victim told police Masse allegedly threatened to kill him and was swinging the 2-foot-long stick at him and that he appeared to be trying hit him in the head.

The stepson said he used his mother's cane to fend off Masse's allegedly attacks.

Police found the wooden club outside the home in the bushes. They described it as about 24-inches long with a hooked end that had been sharpened to a point.

The said Masse was uncooperative and belligerent throughout the entire booking process and refused the services of a bail commissioner.

He appeared by video arraignment in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division yesterday.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 January 2014 04:27

Hits: 494

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN