LACONIA — The man who allegedly entered a couple's apartment Tuesday, beat them, tied them up, and stole money and a gun was ordered held on $100,000 cash-only bail after his appearance in circuit court yesterday.
Kenneth Dukette, 22, of Dewey Street is charged with burglary, criminal threatening (use of a deadly weapon), simple assault, first degree assault, kidnapping, two counts of felony criminal restraint, felony theft by unauthorized taking, and armed robbery for his alleged actions Tuesday afternoon.
"This is beyond the pale," said City Prosecutor Jim Sawyer while making his argument for $100,000 cash-only bail. "It's like something out of a movie."
Dukette's attorney Justin Littlefield had argued that $100,000 cash-only bail was punitive and that his client should be released on $50,000 cash or corporate surety. He said if his client posted bail, he would live in Gilford.
According to affidavits obtained from the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division, Dukette, who had covered his face with a white cloth, went into the victim's apartment at 1166 North Main Street and then his bedroom just before 4 p.m. and began hitting him with his fists. At some point he allegedly hit him in the head with the butt end of what the victim told police looked like an Uzi submachine gun.
A second man, said police, was holding a silver revolver and pointing it at the head of the victim's girlfriend. His face was covered by a mask, said police. Dukette allegedly ordered the victim to give him the combination of his gun safe, threatening that "he would shoot both of them."
The male victim knew Dukette but told police he didn't know who the other man was.
The victim also told police he opened the safe after which Dukette ordered him and his girlfriend to their knees where they were both handcuffed and then bound together with a cell phone cord. The victims were forced into the bathroom.
Affidavits said the victim told Dukette he didn't have a Para Ordnance 1911 (a Canadian manufactured handgun) but Dukette found the gun and $440 in a desk door. He allegedly took both.
The victim told police Dukette was "very angry that he had been lied to" and that he put the loaded gun he had just found to his face and told him he was going to shoot him for lying to him.
Dukette and the second man left the apartment and got into a car that the victim described as black with a temporary, paper license plate. The victim told police he thought the car belonged to Dukette's girlfriend. Affidavits said police dispatchers were able to identify the owner of the car as Dukette's girlfriend.
Capt. Matt Canfield said police immediately issued a county-wide Be-On-the-Lookout-For alert for Dukette and the car. He said yesterday that multiple police officers participated in the arrest and since the call came during a shift change, a few officers and all supervisors stayed until Dukette could be apprehended.
At 5:55 p.m. Senior Patrol Officer Bob Cameron spotted the car on Highland Street and followed it out Gilford Ave. to the Gilford line. Canfield said multiple officers, including police from Gilford surrounded the car took Dukette into custody at gun point.
Police said they saw an Uzi-like long gun and a black handgun on the front passenger floor. The barrel of the long gun had what appeared to be blood on it. Both were Airsofts (weapons that propel plastic spheres via a discharge of compressed air).
Police got a search warrant for the car and affidavits said gloves — one set with blood on them — a black sweatshirt, two cell phones, and prescription bottles with the victim's name on them were recovered. Police also found some cash but Canfield said he didn't know if it was the same cash as that taken from the victim.
Canfield said the Para Ordnance gun was not recovered and the second man described to police by the victim was not in custody as of 5 p.m. yesterday.
In court yesterday, Sawyer used the severity of the allegations as justification for the $100,000 cash-bail request.
"If convicted, he faces decades in jail," Sawyer said, arguing that alone was enough reason for Dukette to flee the area as well as present a danger to the general community.
In addition to the new charges, Dukette pleaded guilty to second-degree assault for stabbing a man on May 30, 2010.
Records obtained from the Belknap County Superior Court show Dukette pleaded guilty to stabbing a man who had previously dated his girlfriend at the time.
The victim in that case said Dukette pulled a knife on him during a verbal argument at an apartment on Pleasant Street and he tried to stop Dukette from stabbing him by grabbing him in a bear hug. He said Dukette stabbed him twice in the back.
Charged initially with one count each of first-degree and second-degree assault, Dukette pleaded guilty to second-degree assault on November 17, 2010 in exchange for having the state drop the first-degree assault charge.
He was sentenced to 12 months in the Belknap County House of Corrections with all but 60 days suspended.
One of the conditions of his release was that the balance of the sentence could be brought forward for five years after the date of his conviction. He was also ordered to pay $4,605.48 to Lakes Region General Hospital.
Police ask anyone with any information on the North Main Street incident to call 524-5257.
Last Updated on Thursday, 31 October 2013 03:03
LACONIA — Belknap County Commissioners will ask the County Jail Planning Committee to look at a Plan B for dealing with crowding at the Belknap County House of Correction, which has led to the outsourcing of many inmates to facilities in other counties.
That plan would be creation of a temporary adult detention annex for as many as as 50 prisoners, which would free up program space inside the current facility, which has a capacity of 120 inmates but which has had as many as 151 on some days in recent months,.
County Administrator Debra Shackett broached the possibility of a Plan B at Wednesday morning's meeting after pointing out that there was no public support at present for moving ahead with plans for a new facility, but there were many things which needed to be done at the jail.
She said that temporary housing for 50 inmates would allow the county to bring back all of the outsourced prisoners while utilizing some of the existing space which would be freed up in the jail for programs designed to help released inmates adjust to life in the community, which could lower recidivism.
''We would need additional staff and supervision but need to look at how the county would best be served while we wait for a new facility. The situation is bad and is getting worse,'' said Shackett.
She dusted off a 30-month-old contract proposal from a Georgia firm which builds and installs temporary detention facilities for a 32-unit facility which would cost $1.26 million over three years.
The proposed contract called for $315,360 to put the temporary facility in place and for payments of $78,840 over the next 12 quarters.
''The numbers are old and outdated.'' she told commissioners Steven Nedeau and Ed Philpot (Chairman John Thomas is on vacation), who said that they were still interested in the proposal.
''Let's do a current number and get more information and get those to the Jail Planning Committee.'' said Philpot, who said that he did not see the plan in any way as ''a potential permanent solution'' but that it deserved study and would be discussed at next week's Jail Planning Committee meeting.
He said that it would be particularly important to work with Department of Corrections Superintendent Daniel Ward to obtain figures which would show the difference in costs between temporary facilities and outsourcing.
Nedeau said the plan was ''a good suggestion'' and said that there are many costs associated with outsourcing which aren't reflected in the arrangement recently reached with Hillsborough County for housing Belknap County prisoners.
Philpot said that it would be important to hear from Sheriff Craig Wiggin about additional costs that outsourcing creates for his department, especially transportation and overtime costs.
Commissioners also heard more about potential future expenditures at the jail when they reviewed a list of capital improvement projects that they will take up during budget review sessions next week.
Largest item of the capital improvements plans proposal is $ 1 million for the heating, ventilation and air condition system at the House of Corrections.
Other items listed for consideration in 2014 include $250,000 for renovation of space in the Belknap County Courthouse which would be shared by the Probate Court and the county's Department of Restorative Justice, $120,000 for replacement of the A/C unit for the administrative offices and Sheriff's Department, $100,000 for a new county complex surveillance system, $100,000 for reconstruction and repaving of County Drive and $60,000 for replacement of courthouse windows.
On tap in 2015 is $580,000 for a new roof for the Belknap County complex.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 01:03
BELMONT — The Seavey Road car dealership had nothing to do with the alleged attempt by Gilmanton resident Tony A. Hartford's to sell his father's truck. According to the owners of Kelso's Auto Sales, when Hartford first came to their dealership on October 25, the salesman on duty knew something was not right about Hartford and his offer to sell a 2008 GMC pickup and sent him on his way.
Relying on police affidavits filed with circuit court, The Daily Sun reported on Tuesday that the dealership paid Hartford $4,000 for the truck, which was registered in his father's identical name.
Kelso's owner John Caravona, however, said Wednesday that was not the case. He said that a third man on the car lot that day apparently overheard the conversation between Hartford and the salesman and offered to buy the truck directly from Hartford.
Caravona said he was not aware that any money exchanged hands but if it did, his dealership didn't participate in the transaction or have any knowledge of it.
Hartford has been charged with auto theft in Gilmanton and receiving stolen property in Belmont. He entered non-guilty pleas in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division on Monday.
Last Updated on Thursday, 31 October 2013 01:43
BRISTOL — A 56-year-old woman one count of possession of a controlled drug with intent to distribute after police executed a search warrant at her Sugar Hill Road home.
Chief Mike Lewis said yesterday that Elizabeth French was arrested on Monday at 8:30 p.m. and appeared before Judge Thomas Rappa of the 2nd Circuit Court, Plymouth Division yesterday.
He said she is being held in the Grafton County Jail on $25,000 cash-only bail Should she post bail, Lewis said there must be a hearing to determine the source of the money.
Lewis said French's arrest comes after a lengthy investigation. He said two pound of marijuana, equipment commonly associated with packing drugs, an undisclosed amount of cash, and some oxycodone were seized. He said police also confiscated cells phones and computers.
Lewis said the investigation is still ongoing and he said French could face additional charges and there may be more arrests.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 02:58
- To date, Gilford has paid over $20k to suspended police chief & officer
- Flamingos for hire in Meredith
- Sneeze said to have caused entrapment crash on Mechanic Street
- City starts Front Porch program to recognize people who've made property improvements
- Priority to customers or employers again question regarding downtown parking
- Gun said stolen during N. Main St. assault