GILFORD - Eight teens including one 17-year-old were arrested early Sunday morning after an under-aged drinking party became too rowdy.
Police were first called at 12:41 a.m. about a noisy party somewhere outside however the caller didn't know the location and police were unable to locate the party.
A second call came to police at 1:30 a.m. and they were told the party was at Gunstock Beach at the Samoset Condominiums on Route 11.
"They were being extremely loud," said Lt. James Leach. "Nobody could sleep."
He said there were 10 people at the party, seven of whom were between the ages of 18 and 20. One girl was 17 and none of the teens were local.
Leach said they were all brought to the Gilford Police Department where they were charged with internal possession of alcohol. He said all were released to their parents or other adults.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 01:04
LACONIA — Got Lunch! Laconia launched its fourth year of delivering summer meal makings to Laconia families Monday morning as volunteers gathered at the Laconia Congregational Church to bag the peanut butter jelly, bread and fresh fruit and vegetables which were distributed to 543 families.
John Walker, who along with the Rev. Paula Gile of the Congregational Church of Laconia, UCC, helped start the now widely emulated program which distributes food during summer months to children who are eligible for free or reduced-price school lunches, said that volunteers from as far away as North Carolina were on hand to help bag the groceries. Those volunteers included representatives from the New Hampshire Food Bank, where 40 percent of the food which is distributed in the program is purchased.
Lily Chanthasak, 16, a student at Laconia High School where she is a member of both the Key Club and the local chapter of the National Honor Society, said that this is her third year as volunteer.
She was helping to supervise activity at one of the tables filled with groceries and showing first-year volunteer Troy Harper, another Laconia High School student who is also a Key Club member and is on the honor society.
''I just wanted to volunteer, to help out,'' said Harper, who sat across the table from other first-time volunteers Lucas Beane, 10, his sister, Kathryn, 7, and their mother, Heather.
Beane said that it was a special day for her son, Lucas, who was celebrating his 10th birthday. ''It's our first time, and we wanted to give back to the community,'' she said.
Guest baggers included Laconia Mayor Ed Engler, who thanked the volunteers on behalf of the city and told them they could really be proud of their effort, Laconia Superintendent of Schools Terry Fostern and Bill Irwin of Irwin Marine, a corporate partner of the Got Lunch! program whose firm has donated a 2014 Sea-Doo Spark 3up (3 seater) personal watercraft and trailer to be used a summer raffle prize for the program.
Raffle tickets are priced at $10 each (three for $20) are now on sale and the drawing will be held on Aug. 4.
Another raffle prize will be four tickets to a Red Sox-Orioles game in early September which have been donated by Davis & Towle Insurance.
Gile of the Congregational Church of Laconia, UCC, said it costs about $110 to provide enough food for one recipient in the program, which runs for 10 weeks. This year's fund-raising goal is $66,000, she said.
She said that volunteers are still being sought for this year's program, including drivers and food deliverers.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 12:34
LACONIA – Police said an unidentified man tried stealing someone's motorcycle Sunday afternoon while it was parked on Lakeside Avenue.
Police said the owner of the bike saw a man he didn't know pushing the motorcycle and hollered at him to stop. The unknown man disappeared into the crowd.
Police were called at 1:14 p.m. but were unable to locate the would-be thief.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 01:22
GILMANTON — Firefighters spent most of yesterday afternoon fighting a stubborn two-alarm fire in a log cabin on Loon Pond Road, about three miles from Route 107.
Homeowner Don McNulty and friend Adam Foley said they were in the basement of the home at 4 p.m. when Mark and Cameron Haradon drove up to the home to mow the lawn.
"We saw the front right corner of the house on fire," said Mark Haradon, noting they could see the flames coming from a light fixture on the outside of the house.
Haradon said he knew McNulty was in the house and said he ran in and began screaming to him that the house was on fire. He said his son (Cameron) called 9-1-1.
McNulty and Foley heard them yelling and scrambled up the stairs, leaving the house just before the fire began spreading inside.
McNulty said he and his wife just bought the house about a week ago and had yet to move into it. He said he and Foley, a retired electrician, were in the basement looking around to see what work needed to be done before his family moved into it.
"It's a blessing they came around when they did," McNulty said. "If we'd been in there any longer it may have been too late to get out."
You'd be surprised to see how fast we moved when we heard the house was on fire," McNulty said.
He also said that except for some small windows, there is only one way out of the basement and the fire was spreading to that area.
McNulty said other than the kitchen appliances there were no furnishings in the home except for a large-screen television the prior owner had left because it didn't fit into her new home.
Aside from the hot temperatures and the lack of nearby water supply, Fire Chief Joe Hempel said the log house had wood-beam rafters on the second floor, but the original roof was covered with metal making it very difficult for firefighters to get water on to the fire.
Hempel said firefighters began with an interior attack, but ordered them to evacuate the structure when it became too dangerous and he knew no one was inside.
As the fire continued to burn, smoke and occasional flames billowed from the eaves and firefighters were able to stream water and temporarily knock down the flames — only to have them pop up in a different eave.
Firefighters could be heard using a power saw to try and cut holes in the metal roof to give the heat and flames a place to ventilate.
After battling the flames for about an hour with the first alarm crew, Hempel called for a second alarm that brought fresh crews and water from as far away as Concord and Laconia.
Firefighters were still on the scene at 8 p.m.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 01:29
- County Convention denies request for $3-m jail bond
- LRCC professor to run for Belknap County Commissioner
- Mass. man charged with endangering young child
- 3rd Annual ‘Water, Wings and Wheels’ brings crowd to Laconia Airport
- Social workers name Hosmer 'Legislator of the Year'
- 6th floor stove fire empties Sunrise Towers in Laconia