BELMONT — Fire Chief Dave Parenti said yesterday that the cause of the fire that gutted a mobile home on Lamprey Road on August 11 was dog food.
Parenti said that apparently a mouse or a squirrel was taking food from the bag of dog food the family kept near the furnace and storing it on top instead.
"The heat from the furnace must have dried the food to the point where it caught fire," Parenti said.
The man who lived there with his family told Parenti that every time he took a shower he smelled something sweet but couldn't imagine what it was.
"It was the dog food cooking on top of the furnace," said Parenti.
Parenti added that something like this is a "one-in-a million" kind of event but "go figure".
He said he was just grateful that the man and his young son were able to get out of the home safely and that no one was hurt in the fire.
- Category: Local News
- Hits: 558