LACONIA — A local man who allegedly stole two shotguns from his family's home because he owed money for what he said was a heroin deal "gone bad" is being held on $10,000 cash-only bail.
Cody Ryan, 22, of 45 Sanborn St. is charged with two counts of theft by unauthorized taking stemming from the alleged theft of the guns that was reported to police on August 2.
Ryan is also charged with one count of breach of bail and one count of receiving stolen property for allegedly having his mother's credit card in his possession on August 5 when police located him in the parking lot behind the VFW Hall on Court Street.
According to affidavits obtained yesterday from the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division, police learned from one of Ryan's relatives on August 2 that his two guns were missing. He said he had last seen the guns at 3 p.m. and had returned home at 4 p.m. when he realized they were missing.
The relative told police that Ryan has "bought some drugs for a friend last night and the guys he bought the drugs from gave him cinnamon instead of heroin so he was saying he still owes these guys $160."
The relative also told police he had been trying all day to get money from a different family member. Other family members told police no one except Ryan and other immediate family members had been in or out of the house during the hours in which the guns allegedly disappeared.
Police issued a warrant for Ryan's arrest.
On August 5, police received another call from the family residence and were told that Ryan's mother's pocketbook had been stolen.
Affidavits said the family reported it about 30 minutes after Ryan allegedly took it, telling police that he had called and said it was in a dumpster behind the VFW.
When police went to retrieve the pocketbook, they saw Ryan in the passenger seat of a black Volkswagen Jetta. Police passed the Jetta, turn around and stopped it.
Affidavits said among other things Ryan had his mother's debit car in his wallet.
Prosecutor Jim Sawyer argued for cash only bail in court Tuesday and said Ryan is also facing charges for possession and attempted sales of heroin that date to a separate incident on July 24. Sawyer said Ryan has a history of drug abuse.
His lawyer argued for personal recognizance bail and said Ryan was seeking help from Horizons and had an appointment to see them that afternoon. She said Ryan lives with his grandmother.
Both said Ryan may be a good candidate for Recovery Court but that if he gets accepted into a residential drug program the cash bail will revert to personal recognizance bail.
He also told him to stay away from his parents house but said there could be visits as long as his parents agreed.
Last Updated on Thursday, 08 August 2013 02:17
MOULTONBOROUGH — Two members of the Planning Board — Josh Bartkett and Judy Ryerson — facing a public hearing before the Board of Selectmen, who will determine if there is sufficient cause to remove them from office for "inefficiency, neglect of duty or malfeasance, will soon be informed of the specific charges pending against them as well as the date and format of the hearing.
Town Administrator Carter Terenzini said yesterday that a letter specifying the circumstances that prompted the selectmen to initiate the removal proceedings and setting the ground rules for the public hearing will be mailed to Bartlett and Ryerson on Friday. He added that once the two have been informed the letter will be released to the public.
Meanwhile, Bartlett and Ryerson, together with Paul Punturieri, a third member of the Planning Board, have asked the chairman, Tom Howard, to convene a special meeting of the board, a request the rules of the board entitle them to make. Howard has seven days to reply. Punturieri said yesterday that the three believe the board should discuss the matter.
Terenzini said that last month the selectmen voted during a non-public session to instruct the town counsel, Peter Minkow, and the town administrator to arrange a public hearing, which state law requires be held before removing appointed or elected members of either the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA). He emphasized that the purpose of the hearing is for the selectmen to hear the case against the officials together with their rebuttal of the charges then decide if there is cause to remove them.
At the same time, Terenzini and Minkow were told to meet with Bartlett and Ryerson and offer them the opportunity to resign rather than undergo a public hearing. Both have flatly refused to resign and Bartlett, speaking to the selectmen when they met last week, said "I'm eager to have a public hearing."
Bartlett and Ryerson have claimed that apart from a reference to the case of Bear's Nest Trail, LLC, they have not be offered an explanation of the proceedings brought against them. When Bartlett pressed the point with the selectmen last week, Terenzini countered that he was informed, but conceded that the letter would provide "greater specificity." Likewise, Terenzini indicated that communications from "outside people," who he declined to identify, contributed to the decision of the Selectboard to proceed against the two.
Yesterday Terenzini confirmed that the proceedings arose from the conduct of Bartlett and Ryerson when, on July 10, the Planning Board approved Bear's Nest Trail LLC's construction of an observation tower on the east slope of Red Hill. The firm built the tower without obtaining the requisite permits and, after not seeking permission and sought forgiveness, by asking the ZBA and Planning Board to approve the project after the fact.
The ZBA granted a variance and referred the case to the Planning Board for a conditional use permit (CUP), which required meeting 11 criteria. The minutes record that Peter Jensen, the acting chairman, "polled" the seven members of the board on the 11 criteria. Two of the 11 failed when the board split evenly — three-to-three — with Bartlett abstaining and Ryerson voting no. However, neither believed it was the best interest of the town to require the structure be dismantled. Ryerson changed her "no" to "yes," breaking the stalemate in the "poll," and Bartlett offered a motion to grant the CUP, which carried five-to-two.
Last Updated on Thursday, 08 August 2013 01:52
GILFORD — A recent increase in the number of weekend calls at the Gunstock Mountain Resort has prompted Belknap County Sheriff Craig Wiggin to call for weekend patrols at the county-owned recreation area.
''Gunstock has kept us busy this summer, and there's a need for an increased presence on weekends,'' Wiggin told Belknap County Commissioners when they met Wednesday morning.
He said that during the annual SoulFest event, which drew thousands to the resort last week, his department responded to 45 calls.
Wiggin said that there was also an increase in calls on other weekends in the campground area and that some of those calls were for domestic violence situations and fights, as well as assaults. There were also a number of responses for lost children.
''It is in our best interest to have a detail there every weekend,'' Wiggin told the commissioners, pointing out that the it is actually less costly to patrol the area on weekends than to pay the cost of call-outs for each incident the department responds to.
Wiggin said that he was looking to have a conversation with Gregg Goddard, Gunstock's general manager, about the situation and to try and work out some arrangement which would allow his department to have working space at Gunstock.
County Commissioner Steven Nedeau of Meredith, who worked as an officer with the Sheriff's Department, observed that at one time the department regularly patrolled Gunstock on weekends.
''We used to have people burning picnic tables back then,'' said Nedeau.
County Administrator Debra Shackett observed that the large number of calls were also a function of increased activity at Gunstock during the summer months, which is good for the area's economy, but also has an impact on law enforcement and emergency responses by the Gilford Fire Department.
Commissioners also heard an update on the Belknap County Nursing Home from Mat Logue, home administrator, who told them that revenues and admissions were up over last year due in large part to short term stays for physical, occupational and speech therapy.
In the first six months of the year there were 46 admissions compared to 12 in the same period last year with 43 discharges this year compared to 10 last year. Last year there was only one admission from Lakes Region General Hospital but this year there have been 23 from the hospital, mostly for short-term stays.
The Belknap County Convention earlier this year approved a $200,000 supplemental appropriation for the nursing home to continue to provide the skilled nursing care which is reimbursed by Medicare at 14 percent above costs and is expected to generate an additional $200,000 net gain in nursing home revenue over the next year.
Logue said that as of yesterday all of the beds at the home were occupied and that the average for the year to date is seven empty beds a day.
He said that the nursing home expenses are currently $200,000 under what was budgeted for this time and that the nursing department is working to fill several vacancies.
Commissioners also approved the transfer of funds into three budget line items which will exceed the amount budgeted for them:
— $4,500 for the Belknap County Convention, for legal costs and meeting costs;
— $5,500 for the Finance Department to cover increased health insurance costs;
— $10,500 for Department of Corrections salary account.
Last Updated on Thursday, 08 August 2013 01:49
GILFORD — A three-car accident on Route 11 in front of the scenic area overlooking the Broads of Lake Winnipesaukee took the life of a woman who was driving one of the cars yesterday at 11:55 a.m.
Four other people were taken by ambulances from Gilford and Laconia to Lakes Region General Hospital for what fire officials describe as non life-threatening injuries.
Det. Sgt. Chris Jacques, who is also a member of the Belknap Regional Accident Investigation Team that investigated the crash, said police are not releasing any details at this time until family members can be notified and the reconstruction is complete.
According to Gilford Fire Chief Steve Carrier, there were three people in a silver Toyota sedan, one person in a dark colored sedan and one person in a dark SUV involved. He said the female driver of the Toyota was killed and a "toddler" from her car was one of those taken to the hospital.
He said the silver car was the most seriously damaged. Carrier said the child was in a car seat that appeared to be properly installed and he said he "believes it significantly reduced the (child's) injuries."
He said the two other people in the silver sedan and the driver of one of the other vehicle needed to be extricated. The other driver was able to get out of his car.
Two young men who were visiting a friend who lives off Scenic Drive said they walked up through the woods and up the hill to the rest area to see what happened. They said the occupants of the home heard the crash.
"The silver car looked like a crushed beer car," said one of the men. He said they didn't see any people except police and rescue workers near the cars.
They said the silver car was in the center of the road and from their vantage point, they were only able to see the Toyota and the dark sedan. The SUV was further west and was in the scenic pull off area.
In yesterday's crash, police said they don't think speed, alcohol or drugs were a factor.
The road was closed from noon until just 7:18 p.m. while BRAIT and Gilford Police investigated. Carrier said there was quite a bit of oil from the crash that needed to be absorbed before the road was reopened.
Traffic was re-routed down Scenic Drive.
Last Updated on Thursday, 08 August 2013 01:44
- Dump Run Cafe brings Gilmanton together
- Bench honoring Kevin Sanborn Connelly placed at Bond Beach, his favorite place
- Late developing drainage issues led to another $67k expenditure at LHS fields
- Innkeepers say Weirs Beach music venue not abiding by terms of permit
- 'Marshmallow 'triathletes' raise $5,000 for Child Advocacy Center
- Planners happy about plans for new, affordable apartments downtown