A fire in a heat-treating process area on the back site of the Titeflex Aerospace building at 6:35 a.m. Friday triggered a first-alarm response that brought firefighter from the city as well as surrounding companies to cover Laconia to the O'Shea Industrial Park.
When firefighters arrived, the met with an employee who told them he thought the fire had been extinguished but when a firefighter entered the room he found heavy, black smoke and fire burning about 10 feet of the ground.
The captain called for a first alarm and firefighters laid hose lines into the building and knocked down the fire.
Chief Ken Erickson said the building is a 550-foot by 200-foot one story industrial steel facility and it took a long time to get the smoke out of the building.
He said the fire started in a exhaust duct and spread into a dryer/dust collector. It didn't trigger any sprinklers but when employees were enable to extinguish the blaze the pulled the alarm.
Erickson said the damage to the machine is fairly extensive.
- Category: Local News
- Hits: 994