LACONIA – Police Capt. Matt Canfield will attend the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Va., for an 11-week training session this fall.
Police Commissioners voted unanimously yesterday to send him after learning the FBI pays for the training and partially reimburses the department for transportation expenses.
Canfield said the FBI offers intensive training for leadership science and development to management-level police throughout the county. He said his application was submitted a while ago and he was recently told he had been accepted for this upcoming class.
Canfield will join a select number of area police officers who have attended the academy including, retired Laconia Police Chiefs Mike Moyer and Bill Baker, Tilton Police Chief Bob Cormier, Gilford Police Chief Kevin Keenan and Belknap County Sheriff Craig Wiggin.
Wiggin, who attended a number of years ago, said FBI National Academy is like going to military boot camp plus earning a master's degree in criminal justice and leadership all in a few short weeks.
In other business, commissioners voted unanimously to promote Master Patrol Officer Robert Cameron to the rank of sergeant and to move Sgt. Thomas Swett to the detective bureau where he will be the ranking detective.
Capt. Bill Clary said the shift will be in the beginning of the year after two new officers are slated to graduate from the N.H. Police Standards and Training academy. He said there are five openings yet to be filled and five conditional offers have been made.
Last Updated on Friday, 16 August 2013 02:07
BELMONT — A Main Street man was ordered held on $1,000 cash bail for alleged possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute after being detained after a traffic stop early Thursday morning.
Michael Lima, 43, is also charged with one count of resisting arrest.
After a scuffle with police, a black container from Lima's pocket ended up on the ground where police allegedly found a scale, six baggies with 0.5 grams each of a substance they believed to be methamphetamine, and a glass pipe.
According to police affidavits obtained from the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division, Lima was a passenger in a truck operated by a friend and at 12:43 a.m. yesterday. A police officer patrolling on Shaker Road stopped a pickup for defective equipment.
The driver of the truck stepped out and gave the officer permission to look at the inspection sticker. While looking, the officer noticed two spoons with brown matter on them on the driver's seat and ordered the driver to put his hands on the truck, and Lima, who was the passenger, to put his hands on the dashboard.
The officer said he had to continually remind Lima to keep his hands on the dashboard.
When a supervisor arrived, Lima was ordered to get out of the car while the driver was searched. No drugs were found on the driver but he told police the truck wasn't his so he couldn't consent to a search.
When Lima gave his cell phone to the driver so he could call the owner of the truck, police noticed he kept putting his in his pockets and told him to stop.
One officer said Lima would take his hands out but would immediately put them back in.
Police noticed black object in his pocket and asked him what it was and Lima said it was his wallet.
Police said it had an appearance of "Hogue-type" grip and feared it may have been a gun. (Hogue is a manufacturer of gun grips.)
When police told him to remove the wallet from his pocket so they could make sure it wasn't a weapon he did not do so. When one of the officers went to put Lima's hands behind his back to handcuff him, Lima pulled away.
A struggle ensued and police said Lima kept resisting and one of the officers became concerned that the item in Lima's pocket was a weapon.
Police said as Lima continued to struggle with the officer, the supervisor stunned him with a Taser so the officer could bring him to the ground.
At press time, police said they had applied for a warrant to search the truck. Lima is no longer housed at the Belknap County House of Corrections.
Last Updated on Friday, 16 August 2013 02:00
MEREDITH — The toll taken on property values by the Great Recession is reflected in the update recently completed by the Assessing Department, which reports that between April 1, 2009, and April 1, 2013, the aggregate taxable value has dropped 6.25-percent, decreasing from $1,858,056,791 to $1,741,940,934.
Assessor Jim Commerford said that the analysis was based on 270 sales between April 2010 and April 1, 2013. Although the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration will not calculate the ratio of assessed values to market values until February, he estimated it would be slight less than 100-percent, noting that the ration was 104-percent in 2010, 105.7-in 2011 and 106 in 2012.
Since 2009, the value of mobile homes fell 30 percent, the steepest drop of the seven types of property. Vacant land lost 17 percent of its value, which Commerford suggested reflected the relatively plentiful inventory on hand when the recession struck and development stalled in 2009. The value of single family homes decreased by 9 percent, multifamily buildings by 5.4 percent, condominiums by 5 percent, waterfront residences by 4.6 percent and commercial and industrial properties by 3.2 percent.
Commerford said that that among waterfront homes those valued at $1 million or less lost the most value while those worth $2 million or more held their value. The value of properties on Lake Winnipesaukee declined by 5.3 percent, while island properties on the lake lost 3.5 percent of their value. the value of properties on Lake Pemigewasset dropped 12 percent, Lake Wicwas by 4.7 percent, Lake Waukewan 2 percent and Lake Winnisquam 1.8 percent.
Last Updated on Friday, 16 August 2013 01:53
MOULTONBOROUGH — At a special meeting last night the Planning Board resolved not to "support the removal of two of its members based on the allegations set forth in the notice of hearing."
The motion was offered by Peter Jensen, vice-chairman of the board, in response to the proceedings initiated by the selectmen to remove Josh Bartlett and Judy Ryerson under the statute (RSA 673:13), which vests the selectboard with the sole authority to remove appointed or elected members of land use boards — the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment — for "inefficiency, neglect of duty or malfeasance in office."
With Tom Howard, the chairman of the Planning Board, the lone dissenter, the motion carried four-to-one, with Jensen, Keith Nelson, Natt King and Bob Goffredo in the majority. Paul Punturieri, who proposed a stronger motion, abstained. Bartlett, Ryerson and Russell Wakefield, the selectmen on the board, recused themselves.
Some 40 residents attended the meeting, which was convened at the request of Punturieri, Bartlett and Ryerson to consider "the recent events that have led to the requested resignation of two members."
The chain of events began when, on July 10, the Planning Board approved construction of an observation tower by Bob and Cathy Williams, doing business as Bear's Nest Trail, LLC, on Red Hill, which had been built without a site plan or building permit and contravened the ordinance restricting development on steep slopes.
To approve the project, the board was required to find that it satisfied 11 criteria. The minutes record that Peter Jensen, the acting chairman, "polled" the seven members of the board on the 11 criteria. Two of the 11 failed when the board split evenly — three-to-three — with Bartlett abstaining and Ryerson voting no. However, neither believed it was the best interest of the town to require the structure be dismantled. Ryerson changed her "no" to "yes," breaking the stalemate in the "poll," and Bartlett offered a motion to grant the CUP, which carried five-to-two.
Last night, Wakefield disclosed after the Planning Board ruled, the selectmen received a "petition" from an as-yet-unidentified resident challenging the conduct of Bartlett and Ryerson, primarily for changing their votes. On July 18, the selectmen met with Town Counsel Peter Minkow, who Wakefield said advised them to use their statutory authority to begin removal proceedings, but first instruct Town Administrator Carter Terenzini to offer the two members the opportunity to resign rather than undergo a public hearing.
When the two refused to resign the selectboard scheduled a public hearing to determine if they should be removed from office. That hearing is scheduled for Monday, Sept. 9, beginning at 1 p.m. The format of the hearing provides 30 minutes for the presentation of the charges, 30 minutes for rebuttal of the charges and time for the selectmen to deliberate. The case against Bartlett is scheduled to be presented at 1 p.m. and against Ryerson at 3:30 p.m. Town Counsel Peter Minkow will serve as an adviser to the selectboard
Wakefield repeatedly insisted that the petitioner, not the selectmen, initiated the proceedings. Claiming the selectboard had no alternative, he said, "We're not trying to impeach these people. We're trying to follow the rules." He noted that the charges leveled against Bartlett and Ryerson, which were specified in letters sent to them last week, were framed by the petitioner. "One individual is all it takes," he said. "We (the selectmen) were just a pass-through."
Challenged by several residents, Wakefield urged, "Have faith in your elected officials, in our intelligence to handle this properly" only to be met with a round of raucous laughter.
Eric Taussig, an attorney, said that the selectboard was misapplying the statute. He explained that if the selectmen found fault with the decision of the Planning Board, the appropriate remedy is to appeal the ruling in superior court, not seek to remove members of the board. He pointed to the example of Meredith, where when some residents challenged a variance granted by the ZBA, the selectmen found merit in their argument and filed suit to reverse the decision.
The action by the Planning Board was foreshadowed by Punturieri, who in opening statement explained that he requested the special meeting because he believed that by not bringing the complaint to the Planning Board, the selectmen presented "a dangerous and chilling precedent. Asking for resignations under threat of public disgrace," he continued , "is unethical and tantamount to blackmail."
Nelson, who was echoed by King agreed. Nelson said that in the Bear's Nest Trail case, the board acted together, not as individuals, and questions about the procedure or the decision should be addressed to the board. "The selectmen chose the wrong action," he said.
Likewise, Jensen, who acted as chairman during the discussion of the Bear's Nest Trail case, said that "the charges should not proceed." He acknowledged, "I had difficulty during that hearing," indicating that he was unsure of how to proceed.
"All can assume some blame for a really mishandled case," said King.
Last Updated on Thursday, 15 August 2013 04:05
- Selectmen urged to let Kimball Castle fall of its own accord
- Some Gilford property owners exercising option to 'unmerge' lots
- Massachusetts woman, charged with driving while intoxicated, held on cash bail
- Man, 2 children quickly rescued from choppy Lake Winnipesaukee
- Mechanic St. drainage project sets back other Laconia road work
- 19 year-old Laconia man faces 2 rape charges