BELMONT — Town fire crews spent the better part of early yesterday afternoon extinguishing a quarter acre brush fire on Horne Road.
Lt. Tom Murphy said that it appears the grass fire was started by improper disposal of smoking materials and spread with help from the wind.
He said that once the snow is gone, "a little bit of sun and an little bit of wind is all it takes."
Murphy added that yesterday was a Class 3 -- or high danger -- fire day for the state.
He said the Belmont Fire Department also responded to an outside fire that started when a pile of brush that had snow on it yesterday caught fire as well.
Murphy said there is still a lot of snow in old snow piles and in the woods, but areas that have no snow are vulnerable because of the wind.
Belmont is issuing burn permits for 5 p.m. and after, and Murphy said people should always use care when disposing of cigarettes and disposing of ashes from their wood stoves.
- Category: Local News
- Hits: 159