MEREDITH — Officials of the New Hampshire Division of Forest and Lands are investigating an outside fire set without a permit at a residence at 230 Meredith Center Road on Thursday evening. The blaze was extinguished by the Fire Department.
Fire Chief Ken Jones said that two forestry trucks, an engine and a tanker were dispatched to the scene around 7 p.m. and quickly doused the fire. He said that the fire was lit without a permit, which is required for all outside fires unless the ground within a 100 foot radius of the fire is covered with snow. Jones said that with the dry ground and high winds the posted fire danger was "high" on Thursday. Jones said that not only was the fire lit without a permit but also that it contained "illegal material."
Before firefighters reached the scene, neighbors living on Windsong Place reported hearing an explosion. Jones declined to specify what materials were being burned, but said that "some of the materials I saw could very well have started an explosion." State regulations prohibit the burning of "combustible domestic waste," which includes treated or painted wood and composite materials as well as household trash, packaging material, plastics, coated or laminated paper and cardboard, oily rags and animal, vegetable and kitchen refuse.
Jones said that the fire was not the first incident of its kind at the property, which is owned by Al Marceau. Consequently, he said that he will be seeking to recover the costs of extinguishing the fire from Marceau in accord with a state law by which anyone starting a fire without a required permit may be held liable for the costs of extinguishing it.
- Category: Local News
- Hits: 377