Laconia man charged with kicking holes in emergency room wall

LACONIA — A city man is being held on $1,000 cash bail for allegedly kicking two holes in a wall in a section of a hospital  emergency room after being taken there for evaluation by police Saturday night.

Affidavits said Noah Rafuls, 20, of 21 Academy St. had gone to Lakes Region General Hospital on his own but had walked away from the emergency room while he was being seen for "suicidal and homicidal" statements.

Hospital staff notified police, and an officer located Rafuls walking down Gilford Avenue. When the officer stopped and asked Rafuls to talk with him he reported that Rafuls continued to walk away and was swearing at the top of his lungs.

Rafuls allegedly kicked a street sign and was making so much noise that neighbors were coming out of their homes to see what was happening.

A police supervisor joined the officer and Rafuls continued to walk away from them. The two officers each grabbed one of the man's arms and tried to calm him down.

Affidavits said Rafuls struggled aggressively, so he was taken to the ground and handcuffed. Police returned him to the emergency room where he continued to swear and scream at hospital and Genesis staff.

At some point, hospital staff was able to calm him to the point where they asked the police to remove his handcuffs. Police did so. However, as soon as the cuffs were removed, Rafuls allegedly began to scream profanities.

He allegedly kicked the stretcher against the wall and kicked two holes in the wall of the emergency room.

Police said hospital staff said they were unable to control him because of a shortage of staff. Two officers returned to the observation room and ordered Rafuls to lay on his stomach or he would be Tased.

Rafuls complied and was taken to the Belknap County House of Corrections where he refused the services of a bail commissioner.

Judge Jim Carroll ordered him held on $1,000 cash for the disorderly conduct and the criminal mischief complaints, but ruled that if Rafuls could be admitted to an in-patient mental health care facility, the bail would be reduced to personal recognizance.

Carroll also ordered that the court can monitor his progress once in treatment and that once he is released his bail will revert back to $1,000 cash.