Tilton-Northfield & Franklin firefighters busy

TILTON — A one alarm fire on North Windy Road Wednesday night at 7 pm. brought firefighters from five communities to the mobile home park off Lancaster Hill Road.

Officials said when they first crews arrived at 29 North Windy Road, there was smoke throughout the entire modified mobile home and the captain called for a first alarm to bring support and station coverage.

The home was occupied but no one was home at the time of the fire.

Smoke, heat, and water damage was extensive and is estimated to be $150,000.

"The first arriving crew did an excellent job. They knew exactly where the home was located and were able to plan while responding, resulting in a quick and effective mitigation of the hazard," said Interim Chief Michael Robinson.

Fire officials said they have no reason to this the fire was anything but accidental.

Wednesday was a busy day for firefighters in Tilton-Northfield Fire District and the surrounding mutual aid communities, especially Franklin.

At 4:40 p.m. firefighters from both departments responded to a structure fire on Hill Road in Franklin believed to be electrical in nature.

The mobile home was destroyed by smoke and fire. One Franklin firefighter was cut by glass while venting a window. During the fire, the Franklin ladder truck was requested for a house fire in Boscawen but the department was unable to send it there.

At 7 p.m. both department responded to the above fire.

At 1:05 a.m. yesterday, both departments were summoned to a building fire at 18 Auburn Street in Franklin — a multi-unit Victorian home where it appears a chimney fire extended from a second-floor fireplace into the walls.

The fire was quickly extinguished but one firefighter was injured after slipping on ice in the driveway. Chief Kevin LaChapelle commended everyone involved including the Franklin Highway Department who respond with sand for the ice buildup and police who shut down the road.

While fighting the Auburn Street fire, crews were called to an explosion on Evergreen Avenue in Franklin and responders found a pickup completely engulfed in flames that was near a second car and a house.

The truck was extinguished, the was no damage to the surrounding area, and no firefighters were injured.