Propane smell empties Sanbornton store on Sunday

SANBORNTON — Five apartments and the Sanbornton General Store at 666 New Hampton Road were evacuated Sunday morning after there was a reported leak of propane in the building.

Firefighters and police responded and check the air with meters. They determined the 500-gallon propane tank was near empty and the "methyl mercaptan" additive used to create the warning smell was expelled into the building.

The building and all of the apartments were ventilated and people were allowed to return at 9:45 a.m.

Fire Chief Paul Dexter said when smoke and carbon monoxide alarms sound, or when there is a smell of propane, people should evacuate immediately and call the fire department.

Dexter also recommends having all heating appliances checked annually by a qualified service technician.