2-year-old Belmont girl dies as result of injuries

BELMONT — The young girl who is said to have fallen down a flight of stairs at her home last Wednesday has died, confirmed a local pastor who has been assisting the child's mother.

Belmont Police are now referring all inquiries into circumstances surrounding 2-year-old Havana O'Flaherty's death to the state Attorney General's Office.

Yesterday, Sr. Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin would only confirm that his office has been in contact with Belmont Police regarding a child.

Wednesday morning, emergency responders were called to Building 2 of the Belmont Village Apartments for a two-year-old child who had apparently fallen down the stairs. Fire Chief Dave Parenti confirmed later that afternoon that responders found the child who was unconscious but breathing.

He said the child was found at the bottom of a carpeted stairway, on a carpeted landing.

He said the child, who was later identified by police as O'Flaherty, was taken by Belmont ambulance to Lakes Region General Hospital. She was flown by helicopter to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.

At the time, police blocked the entrance to the apartment building with yellow crime scene tape. Lt. Rich Mann confirmed there was an investigation and that Havana's mother, Crystal Case, was at work and the child was in the care of an adult when she was found at the bottom of the stairs.

He said the tape was removed sometime Wednesday night.

Havana's family held a candlelight prayer vigil for her in Belmont Village last Friday. First Baptist Church Pastor James F. Smith officiated over the Friday's vigil. He also dedicated his Sunday service to Havana.

Police attended the vigil but stood a respectful distance away from the nearly 100 people who came to pray for the little girl.

Smith said yesterday that Havana was taken off life-support shortly before Friday's vigil and died sometime Saturday.

Havana attended the Heavenly Sonshine Preschool offered by the First Baptist Church.