Shawn Carter now facing 2 charges of first-degree murder

LACONIA — The man who allegedly chopped his mother and brother to death in the Belmont home on Sunset Drive that they all shared has been indicted by a Belknap County grand jury for two counts of first-degree homicide.

Shawn Carter, 32, was also indicted for two counts of second-degree homicide for the deaths of Priscilla Carter, 59, and Timothy Carter, 39.

Each count offers a different theory of each death with first-degree homicide charging that Carter "purposely" caused the death of his mother and brother. Second-degree homicide means he allegedly recklessly cause their deaths.

Priscilla Carter and Timothy Carter were found chopped to death by a Belmont Police officer who went to the house around 11 a.m. on May 24, after one of Priscilla's co-workers called police and reported she was concerned because the woman had not shown up at work.

After searching the house, the officer made his startling discovery.

Carter was arrested by police in on Rte. 3 in Tilton while driving his mother's car about three hours later. At his probable cause hearing on August 6, Det. Sgt. Joseph Ebert of the N.H. State Police testified that Carter's mother died of 10 chop wounds to her head and body while Timothy Carter died of 23 chop wounds. Police also said Priscilla Carter had been stabbed in the face.

Ebert said the N.H. State Medical Officer determined the Carters died between 10 p.m. May 23 to 2 a.m. May 24.

Ebert also testified that after applying for a search warrant for the car Carter was driving, police recovered a yellow-handled ax similar to the one Shawn Carter bought at Walmart the week before the homicides in the trunk.

Police also said they recovered an atlas (map), a black duffle bag containing mens' clothing, and Priscilla Carter's wallet.

Ebert also said police had recovered footage of Carter at the Cumberland Farms store on Court Street in Laconia just after midnight on May 24 wearing a cap that was very similar to the one he was wearing on the day he was arrested.

Police said there was blood evidence recovered on one of Carter's boots and on his cap.

Carter is being defended by by Robin Wight-Davis and Eric Wolpin. He is being held without bail in the Belknap County House of Corrections.