Danbury man charged with Gilmanton burglary, held on $10,000 cash bail

GILMANTON — A Danbury man police said allegedly burglarized a home on Major Road on September 5 is being held on $10,000 cash-only bail following his video appearance in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division yesterday.

Police said Corey Cole, 22, of Drake Hill Road allegedly confessed to Danbury Police Chief David Kratz that he broke into the Gilmanton home and that he knows at least one of the people who live there. He is charged with one felony count of burglary.

Police Chief Joe Collins said he responded to Major Road Thursday, September 5 at 12:51 p.m. when an alarm sounded.

He said the alarm was off when he got there and no one was home. He said he walked around the house and noticed a small window that was open in the rear of the house. He said he checked the doors, which were all locked, but found the overhead garage door was unlocked. When Collins opened it, the alarm went off again.

At 1:38 p.m. the homeowner reported a Stihl chainsaw had been stolen during the burglary. Collins said it appears that Cole was bringing stuff from the house to the garage door but was scared off by the alarm.

Collins said they found the chainsaw at Fast Cash in Tilton and said it was sold to them by a female friend of Cole. On September 6, Cole turned himself into the Danbury Police.

In court yesterday, Prosecutor David Estes said Cole has an extensive criminal background and is currently out on bail from Merrimack County and is facing two counts of theft. In addition, Estes said Cole failed to appear at a hearing in the 5th Circuit Court, Newport Division.

Estes also said Cole has two bail-jumping convictions — one in Franklin and one in Laconia — as well as multiple convictions on theft-related charges in Plymouth, Franklin and Laconia courts.

His attorney argued for personal recognizance bail said Cole's failure to appear in Newport was "an honest mistake" regarding scheduling. She also said he agrees he needs help with addiction and is willing to go to a residential treatment facility.

She said his mother has agreed to give him a place to live and that he is working part-time.