A+ A A-

Fire on Water Street quickly controlled

LACONIA — Firefighters from three communities assisted Laconia at a building fire on Water Street yesterday that charred through a second floor ceiling.

Capt. Bob Landry said at 7:30 a.m. the owner the home at 92 Water Street noticed water was pouring down from the second floor ceiling in to the first floor.

He said he ran upstairs and saw a charged spot on the bathroom floor near the attic wall that had burned through the floor. Landry said the homeowner ran downstairs and shut off the water and called 9-1-1.

Landry said it appears there was an electrical fire that melted the solder on the water pipe, the water from which extinguished most of the fire.

He said when firefighters arrived smoke was coming from the eaves and a first alarm was called bringing firefighters from Gilford, Belmont and Meredith to the city to either Water Street or to cover city stations.

"Any time we have a wood-frame home with smoke coming from the eaves, it's at least a first alarm," Landry said.

He said the house is inhabitable and the cause of the fire is likely electrical and accidental. No one was injured.

 

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN