Judge asks police to justify BOLO alert after bodies found in Winnisquam

FRANKLIN — A 6th Circuit Court, Franklin Division judge ordered the state to submit a reason why police issued a "be on the lookout for" (BOLO) alert for the man whose mother and brother were found murdered on May 27.
As of yesterday, the state had filed no response to the order dated on June 24.
Shawn Carter, 31, formerly of 20 Dutile Road in the Winnisquam section of Belmont was detained by police at 2:41 p.m., which was about three hours after police discovered his mother and brother chopped to death in the home. Police stopped Carter on Rte. 3 and determined his was operating after his license has been suspended. He has previously been convicted of operating without a license.
The BOLO alert desribed the car Carter was thought to be driving and warned officers that he might be armed.
Carter has been held in the Belknap County House of Corrections on $200 cash and $2,000 personal recognizance bail since the day of his arrest but he has not been charged with any crimes relating to the murder of his relatives.
His defense team appeared with Carter in Franklin on June 11 — the original date set for his trail for operating after suspension — and made a motion to dismiss the case because the state never provided the reason for the traffic stop in the first place.
Gordon verbally gave the state additional time to respond in writing to the motion to dismiss but issued his written order for a "timely" justification on June 24.
Belmont Police went to the Carter residence at 20 Dutile Road, next to Winnisquam Marine, around 11 a.m. to make a requested well-being check. The responding officer found Priscilla Carter and Timothy Carter "chopped" to death.
To date, no arrests have been made in the double homicide but Belmont Police said in a Twitter feed a few days after the discovery of the bodies that they believed the general public was in no immediate danger.
Carter has appeared in district court twice on the operating after suspension charge that occurred in Tilton — the day after his arrest in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division and on June 11 in the Franklin Court.
In Laconia, Judge Jim Carroll ordered Carter held on $200 cash bail and set a trial date of June 11 in the Franklin Court, which has jurisdiction but didn't have a sitting judge available on May 28 — the day of Carter's first appearance.
Carter's trial for operating after suspension is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on July 12. The file indicates the trial could be "long" and has set aside three hours for it.
Carter is also charged with one felony count of sales of narcotic drugs, and the probable cause for it is also scheduled for July 12. The alleged sale took place nearly 18 months ago in Tilton and Gordon ruled that there is no compelling reason for cash-only bail on the drug charge.