Winnisquam murder scene cleared by authorities

BELMONT — Senior Asst. Attorney General Jeff Strelzin said yesterday that authorities have cleared the site of last Friday's double homicide on 20 Sunset Drive and the house is no longer a crime scene.
He said advocates working for the N.H. Department of Justice arranged to have the home professionally cleaned before it was released back to the owner. He said the homeowners rental insurance typically pays for the cleaning.
Beyond that, Strelzin refused to release any further details about the "chopping" murders of Priscilla Carter, 69, and her son Timothy, 39, other than to say that it is still a very active investigation.
When asked if police had recovered a murder weapon or weapons, Strelzin said he "would not talk about that." He has said that state dive teams searched the Lake Winnisquam water in front of the house on Saturday.
To date no one has been charged in the double homicide that was discovered by Belmont Police at 11 a.m. Friday after they went to the home in response to a "welfare check."
Belmont Police issued a Twitter feed saying there was no danger to the community and have referred all calls to Strelzin's office. In New Hampshire, homicides are investigated by the Major Crimes Unit of the Bureau of Criminal Investigations and prosecuted by the Office of the Attorney General.
After the homicides were discovered a BOLO alert was issued for Shawn P. Carter, 31, also of 20 Sunset Drive. Carter was apprehended by Tilton and N.H. State Police while driving a red Monte Carlo along Route 3 Friday afternoon at 2:21 p.m.
Carter was charged with one count of operating after suspension and one count of breach of bail for an unpaid fine in Concord District Court. He has not been identified by authorities as a suspect or a "person of interest" in the murders of his brother and mother.
After a video appearance in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division, Judge Jim Carroll ordered him held on $200 cash-only and $2,000 personal recognizance bail.
As of 3:30 p.m. yesterday Carter remained incarcerated in the Belknap County House of Corrections. The N.H. Union Leader reported yesterday that Carter told their reporter, who tried to contact him via the telephone, that he would give the paper an interview if the paper or the reporter posted his bail.
When Strelzin was asked where Carter would go if he posted bail, he said he could return to 20 Sunset Drive as long as the rent was paid.
His trial for the operating after suspension and breach of bail is scheduled for June 11. An attorney from the Department of Justice who appeared on the state's behalf at Carter's court appearance Tuesday said the state would be charging him with being a habitual offender because if he is convicted of operating after suspension it would be his third major motor vehicle charge.