Examiner finds mother & son died of multiple 'chop' wounds; detained 2nd son due in court this a.m. on unrelated charges

BELMONT — The N.H. Attorney General said Saturday that the two Winnisquam homicide victims died of "chop" wounds.
A.G. Joseph A. Foster said Saturday in a media release that Priscilla Carter, 59, of 20 Sunset Drive died of blunt-force trauma and multiple chop wounds while her son Timothy Carter, 39, also of 20 Sunset Drive died of multiple chop wounds.
The A.G. has not released the type of weapon used in the homicide but a N.H. State Police dive team was seen searching the area of the Lake Winnisquam at the rear of the Sunset Drive home.
Yesterday police tape surrounded the immediate residence but the portion of Sunset Drive that had been closed was reopened.
Police made the gruesome discovery around 11 a.m. on May 24 after going to the home for a welfare check.
While no one has been charged with the murders, police from the N.H. State Police, Belmont and Tilton detained Shawn P. Carter of the same address in traffic stop on Route 3 in front of from the Pirates Cover miniature golf course that is about one-half mile from the rented home located next to Winnisquam Marine.
As of last night, Sawn P. Carter was being held on unrelated charges in the Belknap County House of Corrections. Charged with one count of driving after revocation and one count of violation of a bail order, he is scheduled to appear by video on those charges this morning in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division.
According to the Belmont Police log, Shawn Carter was arrested on May 22 by police on a bench warrant issued from the 6th Circuit Court, Franklin Division. The outcome of that police encounter is unknown.
The owner of the Sunset Drive home said he rented the home to Priscilla Carter and her two sons about six weeks ago. He said the family came from the Lord Hampshire Motel and condominiums with good recommendations.
He described Priscilla Carter as a nice woman and said Timothy often worked along side his own son doing some work on the house he owns next door to the one the Carter family rented.
Priscilla Carter's nephew Thomas Elliot III of Massachusetts remembers his aunt as a "really nice and caring woman."
"She was just an all around great person to be around," he said, noting Priscilla Carter worked at one point at J. Jill and "though she didn't have much was willing to share what she did have."
He also remembered his cousin Timothy as being a lot like his mother. Elliot said he "was laid-back" and "more than willing to held people in need."
He said Timothy was "more dependent" on his mother than was Shawn and he was surprised to hear Shawn was living with his mother and brother.
Because Elliot is not a direct relative he said he has been kept in the dark by authorities who continue to investigate the double homicide. He said he hadn't seen his aunt or his cousins since his own father died in 2008.
When asked his opinion of Shawn Carter, Elliot said he didn't "really care for him very much."
"He's a bit of an (expletive), Elliot said.
Elliot also said Priscilla has a daughter who, the last he remembered, lived in Vermont.
The double murder also triggered an apparently related "soft-lock down" at the campus of the Inter-Lakes Regional School District. Meredith and N.H. State Police surrounded the campus until 3 p.m. on Friday refusing to allow anyone in or out of the buildings.
Elliot said Shawn Carter has two daughters and he thought they went to school in the area but didn't know exactly which district.