2 bodies found in home near Mosquito Bridge; police detain man who apparently lives there

BELMONT — N.H. Attorney General Joseph A. Foster last night announced the "suspicious deaths" of an adult male and an adult female whose bodies were found earlier in the day inside a rented home at 20 Sunset Drive.
Just after 2 p.m. Tiilton police, responding to an BOLO (be on the lookout for) alert, stopped and detained Shawn Carter, 31, who apparently was one of the residents of the home.
Foster said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner would be conducting autopsies on Saturday the determine causes of death. The identities of the two people were not released.
The announcement was also signed by State Police Colonel Robert L. Quinn and Belmont Police Chief Mark Lewandoski.
As of 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon, the N.H. State Police Major Crime Scene van and the N.H. Medical Examiner were still on the scene at the white house next to Winnisquam Marine.
A man who works at the marina said his work station is on the other side of a red stockade fence that separates the home from the marina said he saw what he described as a small woman speaking with a lone Belmont Police officer around 11 a.m.
He said the next thing he knew the area was surrounded by police cars and fire trucks. He said a police officer came to the marina and asked all of the employees to go inside one of the bays and close the doors.
He said the security measure lasted about five minutes.
Chief Lewandoski said an officer was sent to the house for a "welfare check" and made a "discovery."
Tilton Police Lt. Ryan Martin said Tilton, Belmont, and N.H. Hampshire State Police made a "felony traffic stop" just opposite from the Pirate's Cove miniature golf course on Rte. 3 and the person, who he said was alone in the car and was detained was Shawn Carter. He said Carter was taken into custody by the Belmont Police.
Tilton Police said the BOLO alert indicated Carter could be armed and officers were advised to use caution.
The owner of the house at 20 Sunset Drive said he also owns the nearby mobile park and the house next door to it. He said he rented the house about six weeks ago to Priscilla Carter and her two adult sons, Timothy and Shawn.
He said the family had good references and he hadn't had any issues with them. He said Priscilla was a nice woman and that her son Timothy often assisted his own son with some work he was doing at the neighboring home. He also said Timothy could be seen raking the yard.
The owner he had not been allowed into the house but that everyone in the immediate area was very upset by what they had heard. He heard there was a problem when one of his other tenants called him and told him it looked like a crime scene.
The immediate area was sectioned off with yellow crime-scene tape and traffic was being routed around the area.
No one in the area said they had heard or seen anything unusual coming from the home and they didn't know the Carters.
Winnisquam Marina owner Ed Crawford said Shawn Carter had come on to his property twice. He said once his son and some others were working late into the evening getting ready for the upcoming boating season when Shawn Carter came into the building and walked up the stairs to a storage area.
He said he left when he was told to leave and Crawford said he called the police and reported it.
Crawford said the police came and took Shawn Carter into custody for what he was told were open warrants. He said the marina had gotten "some kind of order" for Carter to stay off of the property and hadn't had any further encounters with him.
At the same time yesterday, the Inter-Lakes School District campus in Meredith was placed on what was termed a "soft lock down," meaning no one could come into or leave the building.
Police from Meredith and the New Hampshire State Police were at Inter-Lakes High School and Inter-Lakes Elementary School yesterday afternoon. Lt. Keith True said his department had gotten a the same BOLO for a car but had since learned that whoever police were looking for was in custody. The students were all released at 3 p.m.
Inter-Lakes Superintendent Mary Ellen Ormond said there had been an incident elsewhere and police said the individual involved may be headed toward Meredith.
She said Meredith Police advised the soft lock down.