Detective Chris Noyes named Officer of the Year by Laconia Police Department

LACONIA — Detective Christopher R. A. Noyes was named Officer of the Year yesterday in a brief ceremony at the Police Commission meeting at Laconia Police Station.
Noyes, primarily a drug detective in the Bureau of Criminal Investigations, was commended for his 28 drug arrests in 2012, his previous work with the N.H. Drug Task Force and his ability execute search warrants resulting in the cultivation of informants.
So far in 2013 he has made 23 drug purchases and 25 arrests.
He began his career in 1997 with the University of New Hampshire Police Department and joined the Laconia Police Department five years later. Before becoming a detective, Noyes was a mountain bike patrol officer, a patrol training officer and an evidence officer.
Chief Christopher Adams said he is known for his attention to detail and his work ethic.
Dispatcher Marnell Dilorenzo was given the Meritorious Service Award for coordinating a response for a man who called police to report his son was suicidal and in possession of a shotgun.
Adams said she not only kept the man on the phone while police responded but managed to alert the detectives and use the telephone to alert officers who were responding to another call.
"Dilorenzo did all this while still answering several incoming calls that were unrelated to the incident," Adams said.
Other recipients of the Meritorious Service Awards were Master Patrol Officer Benjamin Black and Patrol Officer Robert Sedgley.
Officer Michael Armstrong was awarded a Wounded in Service Medal. He was assaulted by a person who was a passenger in a car that had been stopped by a different officer for suspicious of driving under the influence.
Armstrong was able to bring the person to the ground despite being punched in the face and suffering a broken nose. When he continued to fight, the man was hit with a Taser by the supervisor.
While Armstrong was fighting with the suspect, a third passenger who was in his cruiser awaiting transport, began kicking out the car's windows. He was transported by the Gilford Police van to the Laconia Police station all the while continuing to struggle. Armstrong at one point needed to handcuff the man's ankles to stop him from kicking the van's plexiglass windows.
Adams said Armstrong followed the Gilford Police van to the Laconia Police station and eventually took the subject to the Belknap County Jail after he refused to cooperate.
Armstrong returned to the police station, completed the required paperwork and arrest affidavits and went to the hospital. After being treated and released, he returned to the police station and completed his officer injury report.
He has since had reconstructive surgery, is back on duty and both men are serving jail and/or prison sentences for their actions that night.
In a surprise moment, Sgt. Michael Finogle was honored for his 10 years as the Laconia Canine Officer.
Adams presented Finogle with a plaque that was etched by the students at the Huot Technical Center and embossed with photos of both his police dogs — "Yago" and "Yogi".
Nobody, including Adams, knows how they managed to lure Finogle, who typically works the midnight shift, to the station yesterday to receive his honor, but Adams quipped he had been holding on to it for about a year but had been unable to get him to a previous commission meeting.
"Yago", who retired last year, was not present and was believed to be curled up on Finogle's couch while his master was accepting his award.
Annual awards are given in May to honor National Police Week that was May 12 to May 18 this year.