Homeless man found living near Union Cemetery sentenced for stolen shotgun

LACONIA – The homeless man who police found living in a tent last October pleaded guilty to two counts of receiving stolen property – including a shotgun.
In exchange for his guilty plea, Jeffrey Fleck, 31, now of Boscawen, where he is incarcerated at the Merrimack County Jail, was sentenced to 1½ to five years in the New Hampshire State Prison for one count and three to seven years for the count that included the shotgun. He will serve a minimum of 1 1/2 years of the first sentence and all of the second sentence is suspended pending good behavior.
Credited with 83 days of pretrial confinement, Fleck will begin serving his state prison sentence after he has finished serving a nine month sentence stemming from his conviction in June of 2011 in the 6th Circuit Court, Franklin Division, for invasion of privacy. There will be no overlap between his current sentence and the one he received yesterday.
Fleck came to the attention of the Laconia Police when one of his relatives told police he was living in a tent or lean-to in the woods near the Garfield Street side of the Union Cemetery and that he had a shotgun.
Police converged on the tent during the afternoon of October 31 and when they got to within about 25 feet, Fleck ran from the tent across the cemetery – directly into the arms of four additional police officers.
As Fleck was being chased by two officers and was being approached two others he reached into his sweatshirt as if to grab something and was shocked by a Taser by one of the pursuing officers.
Police recovered a number of stolen items from the tent, including the Mossberg shotgun that was suspended from the roof of the tent like his relative had described to police, as well as a number of electronic and photographic items. Many of those items have been identified by their owners – including the shotgun and some high-end camera equipment valued at more than $1,500.
Fleck, who is tall, red-headed and thin, had nothing to say to Judge James O'Neill yesterday except that he understood the proceedings and was willing to plead guilty.
Belknap County Attorney Melissa Guldbrandsen said the victims and the Laconia Police had been notified of the plea arrangement and were on-board with the sentence recommendation.